The Squad

Althea limped along with the clones to their ship. Hunter walked in front with Tech, Wrecker was by her side, and Crosshair took the rear. It made her feel like a prisoner, and she didn't like it.

Not to mention her leg, despite her constant movement, was beginning to stiffen. Althea was practically dragging it along. She needed to treat it, but she was afraid if she stopped, the clones would leave her behind.

Dawn was approaching. With the morning sun creeping over the horizon, Althea could see where they were. They weren't far from the village, but she didn't dare look back at the ruins of her home. But she didn't have to, as she laid eyes on a ship, 30 meters away.

Wrecker pushed his helmet up and grinned. "Welcome aboard, kid, to the Havoc Marauder!" He ran up the ramp and disappeared inside. Althea stopped just before the ramp as everyone else boarded. Hunter turned to look at her.

"Last chance, kid. You sure you want to come?" He asked.

Althea squared her shoulders and nodded, gripped her bag tighter. She limped aboard the ship, leaving everything she knew behind her.

Inside and to the left was the cockpit with four seats, one for each clone. To the right was two consoles, one on either side of the ship. And even farther back were panels that folded out as beds, a tail gun mount, and crates for storage.

Althea took in the surroundings of the dimly lit ship, half of the light came from the consoles. She watched as each clone took of their helmet and began to go about their routine. Hunter and Crosshair began to pilot the ship, Tech was still doing something on his datapad, and Wrecker was lifting a Gonk droid.

"Tech," Hunter's voice was quiet, but commanding. "Take care of the kid's leg."

Tech nodded. "Already on it." He took a box from a shelf in the back, then gestured to to a seat by a console. "Take a seat. I need to examine your injury."

Althea gripped her bag tighter. "It's okay. I can do it myself." She really didn't want a stranger touching her, let alone treating her.

Tech rummaged through his box. "Perhaps, but your primitive medical supplies won't heal your leg as fast as bacta spray. Besides, I have done this countless times."

Primitive? Althea furrowed her brow. Is that what they really thought? She felt the ship rumble beneath her. She leaned forward and saw Hunter and Crosshair press a few buttons, and then the ship was in space. A few more clicks later, and the Marauder launched into a tunnel of swirling blue.

Althea was so entranced by it, she forgot Tech was treating her. She felt a sharp burn and let out a hiss.

"Sorry," said Tech, though he didn't sound sorry. He sprayed some sort of clear fluid on the wound, and it felt rough. Althea looked down at her leg, curious as to what hit her. There was a dark red stain on her leg and around it, was a round area of charred skin. It must have been a blaster.

"You're lucky." Tech said as he began to wrap the wound in bandages. "Three centimeters to the left, and that bolt would've hit your main artery."

Althea nodded. "I know."

Tech looked up at her. "How could you possibly know?"

Hunter leaned in the doorway. He must have gotten up at some point. He sure was quiet. He looked at Althea with a slight smile. "Don't mind Tech. He's a little rough around the edges when it comes to conversations. Anything insulting is accidental."

Althea nodded. "My family ru–ran and apothecary." She had to correct herself. "That's how I know." She looked down at her hands, a feeling of sadness overcoming her.