A Distant Echo

Back at the Republic base on Anaxes, Hunter, Althea, Rex, and Jedi General Anakin Skywalker discussed their new mission. The plan was to travel to Skako Minor, and find the live signal emitting from the capitol, Purkoll. "Word is the general staff isn't completely behind this mission." Said Hunter.

"I admit the idea of Echo being alive is still a long shot." Rex said.

General Skywalker folded his arms in a relaxed way. "I'm sure the Council will approve the mission. Just remember the primary goal is to learn how the Separatists are predicting our strategy, whether it's Echo behind it or not."

Hunter hummed in thought. "Well, if you want my opinion, sounds like a trap, but me and the boys will tag along anyway, if only to say 'I told you so'." He smiled at the end, Althea doing the same. Sure, they were a rough bunch, but they still meant well.

Skywalker nodded. "Just make sure you're ready if we get the go-ahead from General Kenobi."

"If you're certain he'll approve the mission, why wait?" Rex asked with vigor. "Let's get going."

Skywalker gave him a look. "First, we have that 'thing' to do."

"Uh, what thing?" Rex asked.

"You know."

Rex glanced at Hunter and Althea. "We don't have time for that, sir."

Skywalker raised an eyebrow. "Yes, we do."

Althea and Hunter shared a look. "Well, we'll just let you two sort this out." The sergeant said backing away. "We'll be waiting on the ship with the rest of the team." They walked away toward the Marauder, both confused as to what they just witnessed.

"Regs are weird." Althea said. "And the Jedi too."

Hunter chuckled. "Now you're getting it, kiddo."

"I've gotten it for a long time." Althea retorted. "I just haven't seen it as much as you have." She bumped him lightly as they walked. Hunter chuckled again and ruffled her hair. It wasn't uncommon among clones to show physical affection, but for the Bad Batch it was their main form of communication. More could be said with a simple nod than with a speech. There were often days on the ​​​​​​Marauder when no one uttered a word, but everyone understood each other. It was one of Althea's favorite part of the squad, though it did take some getting used to at first. But now, the young medic was a master at deciphering the difference between Wrecker's playful and angry shoves, or Hunter's stares of either judgement or being "in the zone".

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

Aboard the Havoc Marauder, the Bad Batch, Rex, and General Skywalker prepared for their mission. Tech piloted the ship calmly, while Wrecker lifted their gonk droid, Gonky, and ate some sort of avian wing. Skywalker inspected Crosshair's rifle, with careful supervision by the sniper. Althea prepped her med bag, and Hunter tapped at the controls of one of the monitors. "So," General Skywalker said as he handed Crosshair back his rifle. "How many missions has your team been on, Sergeant?"

Hunter leaned against the wall of the ship. "Honestly, sir, I've lost count. All the action sort of blurs together."

"I know you work with Cody sometimes," Said Rex. "But who do you guys report to?"

Hunter rubbed his chin. "Hmm...good question. Can't say I've got an answer."

Wrecker took a bite out of his food. "Yeah!"

Suddenly, the ship shuddered and everyone aboard fumbled to find their balance. "We are approaching Skako Minor." Tech said from the cockpit. "It looks to be a difficult landing."