Chapter 18

"How are the notes going?"

Marcus' deep voice that appeared all of a sudden startled Jen so much that she dropped her pen. "Oh my god", she whispered, tilting her head back to look at her fiancé who was standing behind the chair she was sitting in. "You scared me."

"Why? Do you have something to hide?"

The blonde chuckled but quickly realized that he wasn't joking. Furrowing her eyebrows lightly, she cleared her throat before pointing to the dozens of papers on the desk in front of her. "I was just deep in my thoughts."

"Can I read them?"

"My directing notes?", Jen asked in confusion. "Why?"

"Because I'm interested in my future wife's work", Marcus replied with a smile, before planting a kiss on the top of her head and grabbing a paper. "And I have to leave for work soon."

"What?" Jen immediately turned around in her chair before standing up. "But you said you're free today."

"I know, but something came up. Sorry, baby, I'll make it up to you, okay?"

"But-"

"Come here", he mumbled, interrupting her as both of his arms were wrapping themselves around her waist, pulling her close. "You know I'd rather spend the whole day with my beautiful girl."

Jen couldn't help but smile at his words, though her green eyes were still looking sadly into his blue ones. "I was looking forward to go out to lunch with you and then maybe get some ice cream. There is this new place in San Diego, I thought we-"

"Jen", Marcus interrupted her again. "That sounds lovely, but I can't. And besides, maybe you should cut back on the unhealthy food a little bit."

After hearing these words, the blonde just bewilderedly looked at him. "Excuse me?", she managed to get out a few seconds later.

"I'm just saying, babe. Since hanging out with Lana and having all these reunions, you've been drinking a lot more alcohol lately — and we know that alcohol is a calorie bomb."

"You- You really mean that?" She still couldn't believe what he was saying to her. "I mean, yeah I've had more alcohol recently but- but are you indicating that I've gained too much weight?"

"No, you're perfect. Really, you seem to have a good metabolism", Marcus clarified. "All I'm saying is that maybe you shouldn't push your luck. Why don't you go to the gym today while I'm at work, hm? You love working out."

Yes, she loved working out, but that was definitely not the point right now. Jen's heart was beating painful against her chest and she still couldn't believe what her fiancé had said to her. Her face must've given her away, because he suddenly sighed in annoyance, before taking a step back.

"Great, now you're pouting."

"I'm- I'm not pouting, I'm just...", she trailed off as she realized she couldn't find words for how disappointed she was — and hurt.

"Listen to me, honey", Marcus started, his voice soft as his hands were reaching out to grab her's. "You have an amazing body, okay? I love everything about you. In fact, you really are my ideal woman, there is almost nothing I would change about you. And I love you."

Almost.

"Oh my fucking god," Bex exclaimed, her wide eyes expressing a mixture of shock and delight. The corners of her mouth curled upward into a large grin. "You little man-eater."

"Don't say that!"

"It's been one day, and you already managed to get a date? Like a real one? After a day!"