Chapter 37

A few days had passed since the fans discovered that Lana and Jen had followed each other on Instagram. There hadn't been any new interactions—neither of the women had liked a post from the other—but that hadn't dampened the excitement. The fandom was still buzzing non-stop about the new development, reviving old theories and speculations about what had happened between them. Theories that had long been forgotten were suddenly back in circulation, dissected and debated with renewed vigor.

Jen had tried to stay away from the online frenzy, but it was hard to ignore the constant notifications and messages from fans. She couldn't help but feel a mix of anxiety and curiosity about what people were saying. Meanwhile, Lana had been more relaxed about the whole situation, choosing to focus on other things rather than the online chatter.

"Have you seen any of the new theories?" Jen asked, her voice tinged with apprehension as she and Lana walked the dogs. A beautiful, quiet hiking trail ahead of them.

Lana nodded, a small smile playing on her lips. "Yeah, I've seen a few. It's amazing how creative people can get. Some of those theories are really out there."

"Yeah, it's- it's... weird. Seeing people speculate about our lives like that," the blonde said, a frown creasing her forehead.

Lana reached over, taking her girlfriend's hand in hers and giving it a reassuring squeeze. "I get it. But remember, they're just theories. They don't know the real story, and they never will. What matters is what's between us, not what people think they know."

Jen looked into the brunette's eyes, feeling a sense of calm wash over her. "You're right. I just need to stop overthinking everything."

Lana smiled, leaning in to kiss her softly. "Exactly. But that's just who you are."

"An overthinking mess?" The other woman said, a playful glint in her eyes.

"No," The brunette chuckled, planting another kiss onto her girlfriend's lips. "My beautiful, overthinking girlfriend."

"Mh," was the only response Jen was able to hum as her tongue sneaked its way into Lana's mouth. Her hands found their way to her cheeks, her thumbs stroking the brunette's soft skin. The kiss deepened, filled with tenderness and reassurance. The dogs, momentarily forgotten, sniffed around the nearby bushes, giving the couple a few moments of privacy. The brunette's hands moved to Jen's waist, pulling her closer as they lost themselves in the kiss.

When they finally pulled apart, both were slightly breathless, but their smiles were wide. "You always know how to calm me down," the blonde whispered.

"And you always know how to make my heart race," Lana replied softly, brushing a strand of hair behind Jen's ear. Just as they were about to share another tender kiss, the sound of voices and footsteps approached from behind them. Jen instantly pulled back, her heart pounding in her chest. Lana, sensing her girlfriend's sudden tension, quickly stepped away, her expression softening with understanding.

A group of hikers, chatting animatedly, came into view. The blonde's nerves skyrocketed, and she instinctively kept her head down, hoping to avoid any curious glances or awkward interactions. Lana squeezed her hand one last time before letting go, giving her a reassuring smile.

"Just breathe," the brunette whispered, her voice barely audible over the approaching group.

Jen nodded, swallowing hard as she tried to steady her racing heart. The hikers passed by, their conversations and laughter filling the air. One of them glanced at the two women, but only for a moment, before returning to their discussion about global warming.

Both Lana and Jen kept their heads down, pretending to be deeply interested in their dogs. The moments stretched, each second feeling like an eternity. Jen's thoughts swirled with anxiety, worrying about whether anyone had recognized them or if they had noticed the brief moment of intimacy between her and Lana.