Investigating With Izaya Orihara (Class A) (Rewrite)

Izaya POV

It was the second day of school, and classes had just ended. Now, it was time to start gathering information. My first target? The so-called top dogs of this institution: Class A.

Attending this school was already proving to be the right choice. My classmates were fascinating, each with their own quirks and ambitions. I could only hope the rest of the school was just as interesting.

I arrived at Class A’s door and pushed it open. The atmosphere inside was already telling. Groups of students sat in clusters, divided by unseen lines. Tension lingered, but so did a sense of pride. This was going to be fun.

“Oh? We have a visitor,” a lilac-haired girl said, her voice soft but carrying authority. She leaned on a cane, her sharp eyes meeting mine with a calm yet confident gaze. There was no mistaking it—she had the aura of a leader.

“Is there anything we can help you with?” she asked, her polite tone carrying a trace of curiosity.

I smiled, not revealing too much. “I just came by to see my new underclassmen. My name is Izaya Orihara from Class 3-A.”

Her lips curled into a subtle smile. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Izaya. I’m Sakayanagi Arisu.”

Sakayanagi… Now that’s interesting. The daughter of the school’s chairman. A significant player, no doubt, and potentially a very entertaining one.

Before I could respond, a taller boy with a shaved head approached, his expression cautious. “Sakayanagi, who is this?”

“No need to be on edge, Katsuragi,” she said smoothly. “This is just an upperclassman paying us a visit.”

Katsuragi glanced at me, his gaze assessing. He didn’t seem the type to be easily swayed by politeness. “An upperclassman?” His voice was firm but measured. “It’s nice to meet you. I’m Katsuragi Kohei.”

“Izaya Orihara,” I said, shaking his hand briefly. “It’s good to meet you both. So, Class A, huh? Quite the honor.”

Katsuragi’s brow furrowed slightly, his arms crossing. “It’s more than just an honor. It’s a responsibility. Our goal is to maintain the top position, no matter the cost.”

Ah, the cautious type. Katsuragi wasn’t one to take risks without calculating every move. “I see,” I replied, my tone light. “Class A does carry the weight of high expectations. That’s quite the burden, wouldn’t you say?”

Before Katsuragi could respond, Sakayanagi cut in, her voice smooth and confident. “It’s not a burden at all. It’s an opportunity. A position like ours is only a burden to those who lack the ability to handle it.”

I smiled inwardly. So, she wasn’t one to hide her confidence. Sakayanagi clearly enjoyed the game, the power play that came with being in Class A. “Opportunity, indeed. I suppose it’s all about strategy, knowing how to handle every situation with the right move.”

Sakayanagi’s eyes gleamed, as if she saw right through me. “Strategy is key, but there’s more to it than just making the right moves. Sometimes, you have to know when to take risks to get ahead.”

Katsuragi frowned slightly, his tone cautious as he chimed in. “But taking unnecessary risks can be dangerous. Class A’s position is secure because we’re careful. Boldness without caution leads to failure.”

“True,” I said, keeping my tone neutral. “But playing it too safe can lead to stagnation, don’t you think?”

Sakayanagi’s lips curled into a small smile. “Precisely. What’s the point of holding power if you’re too afraid to use it?”

Katsuragi shot her a glance but said nothing. It was clear there was a subtle tension between the two—different approaches to leadership, perhaps? Katsuragi’s cautious, methodical approach contrasted with Sakayanagi’s willingness to take calculated risks. A perfect divide, and one I could easily exploit if needed.

“Well, it was a pleasure meeting you both,” I said, deciding to leave them to their little power struggle for now. “But I’ve got other things to attend to. I’m sure we’ll meet again.”

“It was a pleasure, Izaya,” Sakayanagi replied with a smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes. “I’m certain we’ll cross paths soon.”

“Until then,” Katsuragi added, his tone more formal but laced with an unspoken warning.

I turned and made my way out of the classroom, my thoughts racing. Class A was shaping up to be more entertaining than I expected. Sakayanagi was clearly ambitious, and I had a feeling she’d be willing to push her class in whatever direction she deemed fit. Katsuragi, on the other hand, played it too safe—a man who wanted control but feared taking the necessary risks to maintain it.

As I headed down the hallway toward Class B, I couldn’t help but smile. Sakayanagi might prove to be a much more interesting leader, but the cracks in Class A’s unity were already visible. It wouldn’t take much to push them apart, if I felt inclined to.

And what of the other classes? I was sure they had their own little dramas and secrets waiting to be uncovered. My curiosity was piqued. I couldn’t wait to see how the rest of this school measured up.

This was going to be fun.

Class A done and onto Class B. What did you guys think, I hope I was able to write Izaya close to how he would act. But thanks for reading and leave your thoughts in the comments.