Part 4.

“Brother,” I fell to my knees, disbelief and disappointment washing over me. I couldn’t tell what my brother regretted more: Wei Wuxian’s lost memories or my defiance against him and Uncle.

“Not only did Wangji talk back to him, he even fought with his fellow Gusu Lan sect cultivators…” Xichen continued, his voice heavy with implications.

“I-I didn’t know… I really…” Wei Wuxian mumbled, his guilt palpable. I longed to comfort him, to tell him it wasn’t his fault, that he mustn’t blame himself.

“After he insisted on sending you back to the Burial Mound, he returned in low spirits to receive his punishment—thirty-three whip scars! One for each person. You should know how much it hurts when it lands on your body!” Xichen’s words cut deep. Stop blaming him, I begged silently, tears streaming down my cheeks.

“Even so, when he learned about your death, he still dragged himself to the Burial Mound to see you, no matter what…” Xichen continued.

“Wangji was a model disciple when he was young and a prominent cultivator as he grew. THE ONLY MISTAKE HE EVER MADE IN HIS LIFE IS YOU! AND YOU SAY… AND YOU SAY YOU DON’T KNOW!” His voice rose in anger.

My breath hitched. Mistake? No, my Weiying isn’t a mistake; my love is righteous...

“Young Master Wei, after you returned in your body, how did you pester him and confess? Every night… every night you had to… and you say you don’t know?”

No, no! Don’t say it! It can’t be true! Panic surged within me. Weiying wouldn’t have done that because of my brother’s words!

Suddenly overwhelmed, Wangji gasped awake as the incense’s effect faded. Tears continued to flow as dawn broke—around 6 AM. Wei Wuxian usually woke around 8 or 9 AM, unaware of Wangji’s turmoil.

“Lan Zhan… What happened?” Wei Wuxian murmured drowsily, concern lacing his voice.