Part 6.

The morning light filtered softly through the curtains as Wangji awoke, the warmth of last night’s intimacy still lingering in his heart. He glanced over at Weiying, his husband, peacefully asleep, and felt a surge of affection. I can’t believe we finally opened up to each other, he thought, leaning down to place a gentle kiss on Weiying’s forehead. The softness of his husband’s hair brushed against Wangji’s lips, grounding him in the moment.

After taking a bath, the cool water washed away remnants of doubt, leaving him feeling renewed. Yet, as he stepped outside to face his duties, an unease settled in his chest. He had planned a night hunt with Weiying—an escape from familial pressures—but first, he needed to address the lingering tension with his uncle and brother.

When he arrived at his uncle's quarters, he found Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen already engaged in conversation.

“Wangji! Join us for tea,” Lan Qiren invited. The scent of warm tea wafted through the air, but Wangji felt a knot tighten in his stomach. Not now, he thought. Not with people who hurt Weiying.

“I’d rather not,” Wangji replied firmly, his voice steady but cold.

“Come on, Wangji. Let’s have some family time together,” Lan Qiren insisted.

“Family time? With an incomplete family?” Wangji questioned sharply, anger bubbling beneath the surface. His words hung heavy in the air.

“Incomplete? We are complete, Wangji,” Lan Qiren retorted.

“Complete how? I’m married! Without my husband, how can we count as complete?” The frustration poured out of him like a torrent. “First my mother was left aside; now my husband. How are we complete? Please justify that, Uncle.”

“Wangji!” Lan Qiren raised his voice, but it only fueled Wangji’s fire.

“Relax, Uncle. Wangji, come down,” Lan Xichen interjected calmly.

“Mistake! If you realize you made a mistake, why don’t you take back the rules you added to the wall?” Wangji shot back.

“Wangji…”

“Yes, Uncle! What’s wrong?

Did I say anything wrong? If you realized that you made a mistake, why not correct it? Or maybe that’s not a mistake; it’s jealousy and hate. You hate him, right? That innocent soul still suffers because my husband is a son of Wei Changze and Cangse Sanren.”

“WANGJI!”

“Wangji, he’s our uncle!” Lan Xichen tried to reason.

“And Weiying is my husband—my love—not my mistake!” Wangji declared fiercely.

“Wangji, what’s wrong with you?” Lan Qiren asked incredulously.

The tension crackled in the air as Wangji stood firm in his conviction. He felt the weight of familial expectations pressing down on him like a heavy cloak. In that moment, he realized that protecting Weiying was not just about love; it was about redefining what family meant to him—a family that embraced all its members fully and without prejudice.