Chapter 1

Panic set in as my feet pound against the hard concrete, sending splats of rain on to my legs as I make my way through the crowded streets. I hear sirens in the distance. They are looking for me. It's only been 40 minutes since I ran away from the run down shit house I am forced to call my home. What was I thinking? As soon as i get home the beatings will start, he will be mad because I tried to escape. Mad because it could ruin his reputation in the community. The cop pulls up beside me. This is the third time I have tried to escape, the police officer who comes to find me is always this guy. A look of sorrow crosses his face as I get in the car and slam the door making him flinch, but only a little. We pull into the drive way, I don't even wait until the car is stopped to get out. I walk up to the door and try to pull it open, only its locked. A burst of wind blows my hair, I watch as the leaves spin on the ground as though they are dancing. Free to do what they want. A loud bang brings me back to reality. The door swings open and Craig stands there smelling like drugs and beer while his too-tight robe dangles on the floor. His hair stuck up in all directions. The cop drives away, leaving me alone and defenseless while Craig continuously drives his fist in to my stomach, as he tells me i am worthless and stupid. Craig gets tired and goes to sit on the couch. Leaving me lying on the cold  hardwood floor bleeding and crying. I walk past him to the staircase,bear the pain for the few minutes it takes to get up the stairs.Craig just laughs. It takes all the will in my body not to walk back out the door. Waking up the next morning is unbearable, all of the muscles in my stomach feel like jelly. I lift my shirt up and look in the mirror. Blue and purple everywhere. I look at my face in the mirror, black eye, swollen lip. I cannot take this anymore. I walk myself to the police station. Three officers run over to me. A lady with long bright blonde hair pulled neatly back into a pin straight ponytail. The second one a male, with sandy blonde hair spiked in the front. The third one an older man about 40 with dark brown hair, and a few grays. The blonde lady helps me stay standing as the others ask who did this to me. "Craig Morenson" I spit out as the girl officer sits me down on the bench. Her voice is soft and gentle and she makes me feel safe. "why did he do this to you?" The guy with the sandy blonde hair asks. "Because I tried to getaway.." I answered. Slurring my words as my eyes start to close."What is your name dear" The older man asked me. The lights flickered in and out as I fall forward into the arms of the lady. "I need a medic!" the lady yelled. And that's the last thing I hear before everything goes black. I wake up to a loud and annoying beeping. I look around. Where am I? Needles in my arm, fluids coursing through my body. I still feel weak but my wounds are bandaged and taken care of. The blonde lady from the station is sitting by the hospital bed, I glance over to see her smiling at me.I try to talk, but nothing comes out. "Don't hurt yourself."She says before I have a chance to try anymore. "My name is Callie." the officer says." I'm Piper." I tell her.Her face wavers and she looks like she was going to cry, then she smiles and walks out of the room. She starts talking to the other officers. They all come in together. "What's going to happen tome?" I asked Callie " Well you turn 18 in a few weeks and we are not sending you back to that awful place. You are welcome to stay with me if you are comfortable with that, if not we can figure something else out." This was the first time I had ever met this woman yet surprisingly I felt like I could trust her with my life. "I would like to stay with you." I told her. She smiled and gave me a hug. "You should be fine by tomorrow, we can gather your stuff and head to my place around noon, does that sound okay?"she asked. " Sounds fine, but I don't really have anything."I responded. The sad look slowly crept back onto her face, but vanished just as quickly as it appeared. "Looks like we will have to go shopping then won't we?" she smiled at me and I smiled back,and for the first time in a long time I felt like I was going to belong. Over the next few weeks i bonded with Callie. I celebrated my 18th birthday with her and some of her friends. She was my first and true best friend. I told her I didn't want to leave, and she told me I didn't have to. Everything was going great, I was getting good marks in school, I was making friends. Until one night i came home to find Callie crying on the couch. "What's wrong?"I asked. She ignored my question and proceeded with one of hers. "Did you ever look for your mom?" she blurted out. That was unexpected. My mom was a subject I did not like to talk about. No one who gets left behind by the one person who is supposed to love them and care for them ever feels like talking about them.