Chapter 2: The heartbreak

Flashback

The classroom was filled with students, murmurs of anticipation filling the air. This was my favorite day of the week. Why, you may ask.

Well, every week on Monday the students who volunteered for JYEP gathered here for the meeting. It was an special program in my school. Basically it has a moral teaching thing and although every class has one period of JYEP, there is also a thing as co-ordinators. We kind of take primary sections class and do fun activity with our group.

While Seniors co-ordinators are supposed to form the group with the juniors.

Well, that's not why it's my favourite but because I took part in it because of my crush, Yug - my brother's bestfriend.

And guess what we both are grouped together for it, uh! I can't be more happy.

As our teacher enters, all of us shift in our seats nervously, knowing what's coming next.

She announces like always that those who haven't brought the book have to stand through the period for the punishment while I get busy stealing glances at him.

Suddenly he turns to look at me gesturing to my bag and my eyes widen as I realise my mistake.

My heart pounded in my chest as the teacher's stern voice filled the classroom, announcing that we should stand up.

Panic surged through my veins and I clutched my eyes close. How could I forget my book home. Or maybe I know how I forgot to keep it because I was too much immersed in excitement that Yug was coming with us to the School.

He was sitting calmly, his expression unreadable. Obviously Mr. Perfect brought his book. I rolled my eyes at my stupidity. Geez! I could have looked at him the whole time and now I will have to stand up through the class.

Just as I was about to stand up, Yug's hand discreetly slid a textbook across the desk to me as he pulled me down making me sit back. Our eyes met briefly, and I looked at him shocked. What was he doing?

With a sinking feeling in my stomach, I watched as he rose to his feet, taking the punishment meant for me. His voice was steady as he explained that he forgot the book in hurry. He didn't lie, ever and he was lying for me.

The teacher's expression softened, because he was her best co-ordinator, infact he was the JYEP incharge along with being the vice head boy. It was his first time so he wasn't punished and no one objected because they knew he wasn't careless.

My brother was the head boy of junior section. I was the prefect, well not like I could be the head girl or the vice head girl or one of the captains and vice captains because they were choosen from class 8th only.

So I went for Prefect because being in students body meant I could associate with him more and then Sia di and almost everyone in our group were in student body. The senior section one so why should I be left behind.

Something stirred deep within me - a feeling I couldn't quite name.

As he took his seat back, his eyes met mine again, and he fixed me with a look that said 'Don't repeat this'

Gradually my crush on him grew stronger, like a seed blossoming into a flower.

I know he thinks that I am stupid or that I am living in a stupid fairytale of mine but I wouldn't stop until I make this fairytale of mine into our reality.

Flashback over

*****

Jyeshtha: