Part 7 The Anouncement

"Lightning? Lightning! Are you there?"

In spite of being already past 7 in the morning, Lightning's bedroom is still enveloped in darkness, barely a ray of moonlight illuminating a simple silhouette, so the younger pinkette isn't able to place one shadow from the other.

"Lightning? Can I come in?" She calls once more to her sister but obtains no response.

The youngest Farron takes a step backwards, hesitant, but as she does it, her footfalls over a larger one, right behind her.

"Ough!!"

She jumps slightly as a masculine complaint explodes in her left ear.

"Sorry, Noel! But I told you to stay back!" A delicate finger over her lips, she turns around to reprimand, in a whisper, the young man behind her, a dark-haired man, whose clothes resemble Fang's, so much, that sometimes Serah just can't stop but wonder whether the two Pulsians are somewhat related.

"Y-yeah, I'm sorry! Won't happen again." The addressed one takes a step backward, still jumping on one foot as he holds the abused appendix, as Serah peeks inside the bedroom once again. The illumination hasn't changed, even though dawn is falling upon them, so she decides to turn on the lights and finds one of the beds perfectly made, while the other, the one closest to the window, is completely empty, its sheets scattered over the floor, and the comfy pillow carrying the print of its owner's head on it.

Well, at least she slept here. Serah ponders. While she inspects the unmade and messy bed, Noel peeks a bit inside, still hesitant on entering the room. As he gives a step backward, feeling awkward for his intrusion, he notices the door of the bathroom half open, though the lights are still out, and he dares a glimpse at the inside.

"Serah? I think I just found her."

The youngest pinkette takes a look at the bathroom too, and finds the athletic figure of her older sister, barely illuminated by the light of the hallway, sitting on the floor. Indeed he had found her.

Lightning, dressed in a white nightgown, is sitting in front of the toilet, both arms and legs surrounding its base, while her cheek is resting over the lips of the white and cold furniture, wavy strawberry locks enveloping her back and partially covering her face. As Serah gets closer, she notices the rhythmic breathing and the closed eyelids. The rough lieutenant is deep asleep, completely oblivious to the uncomfortable position. Serah can't but feel a pang of tenderness over the sight.

Poor Sis, the morning sickness must be getting rough on her.

They both approach her as silently as they can. Serah leans down and takes her gently by the shoulders, retrieving the limp body from the toilet, as she addresses the young man accompanying her.

"Help me out, Noel, let's take her to her bed. I'm glad the rest of the gang is still asleep because I think we'll have to wait 'till she's in better shape to receive her guests."

"What happened? Did she get drunk or something?" Noel asks, concerned to see someone he looks up to, in such a bad state, as he approaches to help the small pinkette. "Though I really don't smell anything like alcohol or pot around here."

"Let's just leave it at 'something'." Serah responds as she passes one limp arm around her own neck. "I think you got home right on time."

She's about to hop her up, but Noel makes a stopping sign.

"Please, Serah, allow me."

Without further ado, the young man takes the unconscious pinkette in his arms, making sure her head rests on the base of his neck, instead of dangling on his sides. As if by instinct, Lightning's left arm comes up and falls over his shoulder, her hand taking hold of his neck in a survival gesture. The movement makes the two intruders hold their breaths, motionless, afraid of waking the soldier up, but Lightning remains as immobile as before, and they both breathe out again.