Chapter 1

xxxxxx

~Ivy's point of view:~

xxxxxx

"Yes Mom, I will. I promised, remember?"

My mom holds my hand, kissing it gently. She reminds me to call her often for the fifth time in the past fifteen minutes. She keeps glancing at me every few seconds as if we'll never see each other again.

"Mom, relax. I'm going to school, not jail or something..."

My dad laughs softly from the driver's seat. "She's right, you know." He smiles at me through the rearview mirror. "Our little girl is beautiful, strong, and responsible. She can take care of herself just fine. Don't go around worrying so much."

I smile. "Daadd, I'm flattered you think so! But is that it? I'm a bit offended too!"

He grins, the broadest kind of smile, that made all his face muscles go into work. He suddenly shifts his gaze to my mom. I see the concern on his face and turn to look at her.

"Mom! Why are you crying?"

She covers her face with one hand and sniffs, not letting my hand go even once.

"Mom, it's okay! I promise I'll take care of myself! I'll even call you once every few days, and I'll tell you all the tea... Doesn't that sound fun? Please, Mom, don't cry... You know I hate it when I see you cry!" I say.

I reach out for her and we hug each other for quite a while. I feel the car come to a stop and softly let go of her to look at the building.

"Holy..." I bite my lip. "Oops." My dad laughs. "That isn't even a swear, come on. I'll give in to that." I look back at him like a little kid, whose parents just bought her a lollipop. "You're too cool sometimes, Dad." He smiles.

I push open the car door and step out. "That place looks amazing..."

An ancient building, covered with vines and flowers, every single color of bougainvillea you could think of tracing every inch of the mahogany brown bricks. Large French windows every few meters apart, with thin frames reflected off the sunlight.

"This is honestly beautiful," I say.

I look back at my parents, both of whom are smiling. As my mom gets teary-eyed again, my dad claps his hands. "Okay, chop chop. Let's get your stuff out and get you in there." I laugh and help him take out my things from the trunk.

"So... It looks like it's finally time to go..." My dad sighs.

"Yeah, Dad. It still feels like I have a month left..."

My mom holds my hand. "Sweetie, are you sure you don't want me to come in with you? What if you get lost? What if you don't find anyone? What if you lose your stuff?" I slip my hand out of hers and hug her. "I'm gonna be okay, Mom." She nods as I pull away from her and gives me a small smile.

My dad looks at my mom. "Don't be so gloomy, now. Our daughter is all grown up. I didn't think this day would come this fast!"

I laugh and hug him. "Bye, Dad."

I take my bag from him, and I could've sworn that I saw tears in his eyes. I hold my stuff and walk towards the entrance. In the end, I turn around and wave at my parents once more. I know they would miss me a lot. It was, however, my decision to come here and they respected it. And that's what makes me love them even more.

I watch them drive off and then turn back towards the curved gate entrance. "I'm so excited for this!" I squeal and fast-walk to the office.

The office was a big, but cozy space with desks and sofas. I want to stay in there forever, away from the chilly January air. I walk up to the receptionist and peer over her desk.