Old and New Friends

One week.
An entire week.
Toph picked her food wordlessly during dinner in her apartment alone.
She wasn't sure if forty eight points would enough to get her into the Hero Course, considering she'd heard what some of the other examinees were capable of. Apparently, one student had actually demolished the Zero Pointer in his exam area with a single strike. Most of the time, there was only a bit of damage or rewiring to fix. But this one was crumpled like a fallen paper-mâché. Toph had only halted hers.
'What if I wasn't good enough?' She thought, continuing to play with her food. 'I wasted my time with that electric bozo when I should have been racking up points! What was I thinking?'
The remotely comforting thing that prevented her from loosing hope completely, was the fact that she hadn't gotten her results back yet. Luckily she didn't have to wait any longer. Toph felt something thump onto the concrete floor from the letter box in her door, something metallic. Walking into the hallway, she picked it up and felt the wax seal with her fingers. Her eyes widened when she recognised the shapes of the letters spelling 'U.A.' indented into the wax. (She'd have to thank Sugar Queen for showing her what the letters looked like). Half-running back into the kitchen area, she ripped open the envelope to find a letter in braille writing and a small metal disk.  Feeling the bumps, she found out that the letter said to activate the disk first.  Picking it up, she felt around it.  It didn't seem like anything special.  Shrugging, Toph placed it down on the table—
"I AM HERE!  AS A PROJECTION!"
"Gah!" She jumped.  'Was that, it couldn't be...'
"YES, YOUNG BEIFONG, IT IS I, ALL MIGHT!  YOU MIGHT BE WONDERING WHAT I AM DOING ON A U.A. ACCEPTANCE LETTER, BUT I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW THAT I AM HERE ON THE PAYROLL!  THAT'S RIGHT!  AS OF THIS YEAR, I'LL BE TEACHING THE NEW GENERATION OF HEROES!"

'This can't be!'
"Wait," she said aloud, "do you just say what I thought you just said?"
"Wait, what?  What do you mean I— I said it too early?  Shoot.  ANYWAY!  THAT'S RIGHT, TOPH BEIFONG, YOU HAVE ULTIMATELY PASSED THE EXAM WITH 97% ON THE WRITTEN AREA AND 48 VILLAINS POINTS!"
She was grinning from ear to ear.  This was real!
"HOWEVER, THAT IS NOT THE ENTIRE STORY!  THE TRUTH IS THAT JUDGING THE VALUE OF HEROISM CAN BE FOUND IN MORE AREAS THAN SMASHING ROBOTS!  THAT'S WHY WE HAVE RESCUE POINTS!"
Toph couldn't see the screen, but it was showing camera footage of her facing off against the Zero Pointer.  How she rushed to Kaminari's side to help him escape and ultimately kept him from being ran over.  Then of how Kaminari himself, despite being out of it, shoved her out the way so he could destroy the long-ranged attack from the robot without harming her.
"HOW COULD WE POSSIBLY FAIL TO NOTICE ANY STUDENT WILLING TO RISK IT ALL FOR ANOTHER'S WELLBEING? THE ANSWER IS: WE DON'T! AHAHAHA-HAA! FOR TOPH BEIFONG: 30 RESCUE POINTS! FOR DENKI KAMINARI: 25 RESCUE POINTS! CONGRATULATIONS, YOUNG BEIFONG! WELCOME TO YOUR HERO ACADEMY!"
Toph couldn't believe what she was hearing.
"So... I passed? Because I saved someone?" She did expect that, but she wasn't going to complain.
"Right then, I believe that was the last one, right? Okay, let's— gah! Principal Nezu! Good to see you sir!"
"Likewise, All Might. If you don't mind, I'd like to congratulate our top scorer."
"Of course, sir! GOOD LUCK, YOUNG BEIFONG!" And with that, he was gone.
"Top scorer too?" Toph repeated. She couldn't believe it. Sure, she talked big, but it was a sight to behold.

"Hello, Miss Beifong! Like I said before, congratulations for scoring top of your class! I hope the wait wasn't too stressful." Toph sweat dropped at that. "Nevertheless, there are some things I want to address with you personally. Firstly, you must learn to adapt to various situations as a Hero. For you, this will be environmental in nature. You will not always have the option of favourable flooring for your quirk as a Pro. Additionally, you will be taught how to subdue Villains without completely shredding the infrastructure. It wasn't counted against you, considering it was an exam and you didn't put anyone in danger."
Toph frowned at his words. He was right, but she had already passed, so it wasn't discouraging.
"Fortunately, your homeroom teacher is the best of the best, and will work with you so you can accomplish any task a Hero can.  It won't be easy.  But you already knew that, so good luck to you!  And remember, Go Beyond, Plus Ultra!"
And with that, the screen shut off.
Toph picked up the disk, her hands shaking.
"I... I... I passed."  Real tears were streaming down her face.  No held back tears, no held back emotions, real genuine tears.  After taking a minute to collect herself, she stood up and prepared to order some raspberry cake.