Garden Gnomes

Rahul is a nine-year-old boy. His father Rajiv Khanna bought a new house. It was said that this house was haunted and that is why it was not being sold and that is why they got it at an affordable price. The house is quite big and there is a big garden behind the house which is full of thorns and is very desolate. There are also some fruit trees like guava, mango and papaya. Apart from this, there are only thorny bushes. Rahul's mother Babita had taken up the responsibility of cleaning the house and Rahul was cleaning the garden with his father.

"Rahul, you stay away, first let me collect the thorny bushes otherwise you will get injured by them. "On father's request, he stood aside. 

His father started collecting thorny bushes. Suddenly a guava fell on his head. He continued working without paying any attention. While he was cleaning under a papaya tree, a big papaya fell on his head and burst. Seeing this, Rahul started laughing.

"Now I have to take a bath. Rahul, you mow the big grass and make it smaller. I am coming in a moment." Rahut's father immediately left. 

And Rahul started cutting grass. He saw many small holes in the ground. Maybe rats had made it he thought. He cut the grass and piled it in a corner. Just then his mother called. He took a bath and went to get ready. Mother had cleaned the kitchen and drawing room and prepared Khichdi (An Indian dish). There was Chutney and Papad along with hot khichdi. He sat down to help himself with the papad and pressed it in his mouth when suddenly a big piece broke and fell on the ground.

"It doesn't matter, let it fall, don't pick it up from the ground and eat it." Papa reminded him because he would often pick up things that fell on the ground and eat them. 

He nodded yes and then looked down to find that piece of Papad was missing. Rahul was surprised but thought that a rat might have dragged it away. Then after resting for a while, everyone started working again. When Papa and Rahul reached the garden---

"Papa, did Tornado come here?" Everything was scattered everywhere. The grass which was gathered at one place was spread here and there and the hay which was piled up was also spread.

"Tornado comes to America but this is India." His father shook his head as his work increased. Both of them made a pile again and this time Papa set it on fire. Rahul's eyes fell on a hole in the garden from where something was visible.

"Papa, there is something in that hole."

"Must be a rat. There are a lot of rats here."

The garbage from the garden had been cleaned. Rahul decorated various places with garden gnomes given by his aunt. These were effigies as big as his pointing finger, who wore colourful shirts and whose beards and moustaches were so big that only their round pink nose was visible on their face. Rahul wished that when has a garden, he would decorate the gnomes there. These gnomes are six in number. At night, Rahul slept in his room, and Mom and Dad slept in theirs. A dimly lit bulb was flickering in the room. While sleeping, something passed rapidly over him, and a 'chu' sound was to be heard. He woke up with a startle and switched on the light, but there was nothing there.

"There are too many rats in this house? " He put a mousetrap in his room trapped the cheese in it and slept comfortably. When he woke up in the morning, the first thing he did was go to the cage. But the cheese was missing from the cage and the cage was closed. There was no rat inside.

"Papa papa papa."

"What happened?"

"Papa, the rats here are super smart."

"Well, what did those smart rats do? " Papa asked while fixing the window. 

The window glass was broken and the father was repairing it and installing new glass. Today Rahul woke up at eleven o'clock because no one woke him up.