Chapter 3: If You Relax, it Will...

1931 = Pre-Prohibition era

*Zeke pov*
So, we have two weeks to prepare a song for this fundraiser, and according to Mayor Elijah Johnson, that'll help ease our community.

"Alright, Langs!" I announce, loudly clapping my hands as I walk over to my brother, Langston who turns to greet me while playing the piano.

"How's the song coming along, brother, because we h-

"We have a deadline that can't be missed, and we're getting paid." He says, repeating what I said with amusement, which I didn't find helpful. "I know, Zeke. I know, I know, dang, quit worrying!" He added, rolling his eyes, as he got up to get a beer.

"Right, and that's why we must practice and prepare for the event." I reminded him, not liking the fact he was taking this lightly.

*Langston 'Sunny' pov*

"Here we go!"

*flashback*
"Not exactly. Sorry." Andell apologized, shyly waving to the students.

"Naah, that is fine, I was just teaching my students, but you are welcome to join. Opie, I insist, of course, so don't hesitate." I assured them, allowing her to come join the class.

"Alright, class!.. Let's continue."
————————-
"So! You were looking for me and my brother Zeke?"

"Yeah, you were looking for us!" I figuratively said, teasing her. "But in all seriousness, is there something going on that you want to tell us?" I asked her, wanting to hear what was her mind.

"Yes, there is.. but I am afraid of what he'll say."

"Just tell me, Andell, and whatever it is, I'm here."
*flashback end*

"Alright, fine!!"

While working on this song with my brother Ezekiel was going fine, it just got bad real quick with Zeke changing things around and that didn't sit well with me.

"Zeke! You can't keep calling the sh--!"

"Well, I wouldn't have to if you did what I asked."

"Why, you said it was good before, so why change now!?" Is it because you want to impress that damn fat, pig-eating, bigot-headed honky?" I yelled with frustration, noticing how quiet he went when I mentioned, 'impressing the honky'..hm, some brother he is! 

1932

(Andell pov)

Tonight is the Harlem Renaissance Festival, so the girls and I are fixing up the place before people come.

*Harlem Renaissance Festival*

----------------------------

"What?" I whispered yell when I looked at the same man who rudely declined my chance at leading the women's church with their company, because of my look and capability.  

"Chin up, Andell, you'll be okay, trust me." My mother said, hugging me. "Look, sweetie, this may have been a blessing in disguise, because who knows if the partnership will stay solid?" She added, and based on her tone as she said these words, I knew she had a point.  

Know what, forget what those dry turkeys say, I can make it by the grace of God! Momma's right.