chapter 3

(bold quotations are Herobrine, non bold quotations are non Herobrine)

The day as a whole had been pretty mundane. I spent most of my time watching the rain, daydreaming, fantasising, and sleeping, so not much productive was done. And yet, I was still exhausted. Being conscious and having thoughts is significantly more draining when you're losing more blood than your body can produce in multiple areas of your body. I was tired, and parts of me hurt, but this I was used to. I could still get out of bed, although I really didn't want to, and I could still walk. So, on a whim, I grabbed my patchy white jacket and pulled my boots on as I left for a late evening stroll through the forest.

After the rain had passed a few hours earlier, the clouds dissipated and the sky was left clear and vibrant, with the fleeting glow of distant space debris burning up in the atmosphere. Way out in the rural wilderness the sky was significantly less polluted by smog and light, so the stars were striking in their visibility and blindingly bright. The air was cool but not cold, and I allowed the front of my jacket to remain open as I stared up at the night sky and pondered. The chill of a slight breeze nipped my bare chest, but I didn't mind much.

I found a good spot to sit, in a small clearing in the trees on soft grass, and threw down my jacket to allow for clean and dry stargazing, before laying and just staring. The night sky truly was beautiful.

"...Entity?"

My heart stopped. Of all times, of all places, of all people. Herobrine was in the forest with me.

"Hey, I'm not in the mood for another round," I began, "I'm pretty battered from yesterday's fight."

Wet grass crunched beneath brown boots as he stepped closer.

"I'm not here to fight. Not again. I come here to think, and to look at the stars. Let's make the right choice and leave each other be, and keep to ourselves."

From the way I was lying I could only see him upside down, a few metres away from my head. The stars and the moon lit his skin and I could see his bare chest with thick hair, rising and falling with every word he spoke. It was almost sweet to know he liked to look at the stars too. A mountain of a man like him having such a peaceful pastime was a surprise to me.

He got to his knees and lay in the grass a few metres away from me, shirtless torso against the cold wet foliage without a care for cold or dirt. So deep in philosophical thought and pondering on the universe, trivial things like mundane physical sensations lose their significance. A nervous impulse telling your brain the cold grass is uncomfortable becomes unimportant, and the star filled sky sucks you into an existential trance. I glanced over, trying to be inconspicuous, to observe him. He lay parallel to me but upside down, his curly brown hair beginning to wet from the evening dew. He caught me staring, and I looked away quickly.

"Are you... healing well? You look unwell."

I struggled to think of a response. It's rare he asks me how I am after a fight.

"Yea, I mean... as well as I can. That last stab took a lot outta me."

"I figured as much." he paused, hesitating before continuing. "Sorry."

I was thoroughly caught off guard, never in all our years battling has he said sorry. He's never had reason to, and I didn't think he had it in him to feel anything for me, let alone pity or guilt. I guess he was more soft than I gave him credit for.

"Oh, it's ok... It's fine, I'm fine." His gaze doubted me as our eyes met briefly. "It's a beautiful night."

"Quite beautiful. In the city it's rare to see any stars at all, it's a refreshing change. Do you come out here often?"

"Honestly, no, I only leave the house to get milk and to fight you. Although being reminded of how truly phenomenal the view is, I'm reconsidering."

We lay in silence for a while. Even when we weren't making awkward small talk, he was good company. It felt nice to have another person around, just to be near each other. It was also strange, yet new and calming, to be so close to him for so long without violence or even aggression between us. There was no hate, no anger, no bitterness, simply two people laying in the same field admiring the same stars. In that moment we were more connected than either of us knew, or wanted to admit to, for as much pain and injury we'd inflicted on each other, for how hateful and dangerous we were during our battles, we were more alike to each other than to anyone else. Like we were the only two people in the world. Nobody else, just us, sharing the same space, and thinking the same thing.

"I... should get going."

My trance was broken. Herobrine had sat up, and was preparing to leave. Just like that a peaceful moment was over, all good things must come to an end.

"Yea, me too. I gotta say, this was almost nice."

"Well, let's not make a habit of this. If you go too soft you won't be a worthy opponent."

"Walked into that one. Uh... thanks."

I couldn't think of what else to say, and it just kind of.. slipped out. All I could think to do was thank him for a peaceful night. He looked puzzled.

"For what?"

"For, uh, I dunno. Not kicking my ass, I guess."

He chuckled softly. "I'm off duty. And you're beaten enough."

Both of us stood facing eachother, glancing this way and that, trying to come to terms with who we had just willingly spent time with. I think we were both confused and ashamed that we had both enjoyed the other's company.

He stepped closer, and I followed, cautiously. The air was chill but he was close enough that I could feel his hot breath against my bare skin. Looking at each other, glancing away, briefly meeting the other's eyes, there was a tense and hesitant air.

"I'll see you next week." Herobrine muttered, breaking the tension and turning to leave. Walking in the opposite direction, he looked over his shoulder to where I remained standing, silently watching him leave, before turning again and continuing home.

I stood still, without the words to describe what had happened. In reality, from the angle of a third person outside observation, nothing had happened, as most of the half an hour or so was laying still and silent. And yet, it felt like something significant happened. Like there was an unspoken connection forming, or that there was something being said between us without the use of words. Perhaps I was just tired. And yet, I was sad to see him leave. Regardless, I left and began my journey home.