xviii Like a Flame Ignited

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Amelia missed Florence. She hadn't seen or talked to her best friend alone more than a handful of times over the last month. She understood how busy everyone was, it was their O.W.L.'s year after all, but she couldn't help but feel like Florence had been more distant than usual.

So when Amelia found her friend sitting in the library by herself, she wasted no time dragging her out of it.

"Woah! Lia slow down! What's wrong?" Florence cries out, just barely managing to avoid a pulled-out chair as Amelia swerves them through the tables.

A few students shake their heads at the duo, upset about having their study time interrupted. Florence sends them an apologetic wave yet still receives a middle finger from a particularly disgruntled-looking Slytherin student.

"I haven't seen you in years is the problem!" Amelia answers finally, pushing Florence past her and out of the library doors.

Florence frowns at her friend's words. Amelia was obviously exaggerating, but she could admit that it had been a long time since they hung out just the two of them. Before this year, they would spend nearly every other day together- and basically every meal. Florence had sat with Amelia every meal time still, but they had also sat either with Amelia's dormmates and the Marauders, or Eli and Felix. Florence regrettably couldn't remember the last time they gossiped or giggled together in private after the beginning of the school year.

"I'm sorry Lia, I didn't even realize... We can hang out today, I've finished Slughorn and Minnie's essays so I can do the rest of my work tomorrow." She amends.

Amelia smiles and nods her head, her blonde hair bobbing along with her joy. Turning down the hallway, the two girls walk toward the staircases. Amelia makes to head toward the Gryffindor tower in the south wing, but Florence all but drags her toward the grand staircase heading up to the Ravenclaw tower.

"What? You don't want to go to my dorm? I have some chocolate frogs," Amelia says, attempting to bribe her friend.

Florence shakes her head no, letting go of Amelia's arm and walking up the steps.

"I'm not really up to hanging out with everyone today, sorry Lia. We'll get more time to ourselves in my dorm anyway, Therese and Lydia are out right now and if Silvia is there, well she's nice and it's still fewer people than will be in your dorm. I'll catch up with Lily, Marls, and Mary another time," She explains as they climb the staircase, eyes trailing over the large amalgamation of portraits lining the walls.

"Okay..."

Amelia looks at the back of Florence's head with furrowed brows and a small frown. She wasn't going to comment that Lily and Marlene were studying and Mary had a date with some 5th-year Hufflepuff. Whether Florence knew that or not, she figured it hadn't actually been them who she wanted to avoid in the first place. Amelia had noticed how little Florence had been seeing Remus as well; with her goal of getting the two together and all.