Chapter 46: Robert is Back II

After dinner, they moved back to the living room and resumed their conversation.

Henry glanced at Robert indifferently, "Your return this time is not just to see me, right?"

Robert snapped his fingers. "Smart. I've come to persuade you to return to Boston with me. No matter how clever and capable your younger brother is, in the end, he is not like you. Although the Xian enterprise's shares haven't declined throughout the year, there is still no sign of rising."

"Ethan has learned about economics and management since he was twelve. He is brilliant," Henry laughed and continued indifferently, "he had to experience the ins and outs of our family business; like I did. In a few years, the Xian Enterprise will flourish in his hands."

"Then you are willing to be restricted?" Roberts smacked his forehead. "This is even worse than I expected." He walked to the French window and stared outside. "Actually, I don't care if you want to live here, but I know you don't like to be bound." He was quiet for a while and let out a sigh. "Look at you. You are willing to live a simple life like a common man. You don't look like a billionaire's son at all."

"Didn't you, young master Chen, also change a lot?" Henry rested his chin on the back of his hand and gave him a side glance. "You've become impatient and rarely hang around with women like you used to."

"Nah, those women are boring." Robert slid his hand into his pocket while looking at the carousel visible through his window. "After playing around for many years, I'm tired. It is time I get married and settle down."

"I can see you haven't reached the point where you can't be saved."

Robert kept quiet. He stood still in front of the French window, looking at the view of the city from afar. A memory of the past flashed in his mind.

At fifteen, he was already best friends with the thirteen-year-old Sarah. He'd always sneak away from home and help her take care of her sick mother. By the age of seventeen, the Suarez family had already considered him a family member.

Sarah was the sole provider at that time and she would do all she could to keep her family from collapsing. She carried all the burden on her shoulders—too much to bear — but she had no other choice. People were depending on her and she couldn't afford to slack off.

One day, she collapsed in front of their door. Only when he rushed towards her did he find out that she had a fever. He carried her all the way home and kept her in his bedroom. That night, he did not sleep a wink because he was busy taking care of her. Only God knows how worried he was.

That was when he realized he already liked her more than just a friend. He was ecstatic about his discovery and thought that once she grew up, he would marry and shower her with all the love in the world.

He kept his feelings in his heart until nine years ago when her mother's health deteriorated. He could still remember the fear, panic, and confusion in her eyes when her mother was wheeled into the emergency room. After that, his family relocated to the United States and his father forced him to board that plane that day. He planned to confess to her when he returned home.

He never thought that he would lose her once he returned. Her family had gotten into debt and all their assets were auctioned by the bank. They had moved out and no one knew their whereabouts. It was like they vanished into thin air. At that time, he did not have enough resources to conduct a thorough search.

It wasn't until two years ago that he found her whereabouts but she already had a boyfriend. He had to respect her decision and only maintained the status quo. He was overjoyed when he learned about her breakup three months ago. Finally, he had a chance!

"How long are you planning to stay in Zaida City this time?"

Henry's words brought him back to reality. "I plan to stay here for a week. But if there is nothing that requires my attention, I plan to stay longer."

The two started talking about random topics ranging from the global economic crisis, recent changes in the business community, political changes, and domestic economic changes.

Sarah got bored listening to their talk. She got up and walked around the house. She treated this house as her own and wandered, admiring the spacious luxury apartment. She ran her fingers through the expensive marble counter tops wondering how it would feel to live in such a house. Apart from the furnishing, it seemed Robert and Henry had some similarities when it came to apartments. They both preferred living in a simple, yet elegant, apartment complex rather than mansions as other rich people preferred.

There were a few fake potted plants by the window and it added color to the room. Upon closer inspection, Sarah noticed a neatly folded blue paper attached to the leaf of the peace lily. She squatted on the floor and read the note. The contents of the note made her face light up. She was happy knowing that Robert thought about her even though they hadn't seen each other for a long time.

Sarah spotted a large picture frame in the hallway, and it drew her attention. Henry on the left, Robert on the right, and in the middle, a beautiful girl who had wrapped her arm around Henry. One glance at that face and her entire body felt like she had been doused in cold water. The girl's face matched the veiled girl she'd met at the gathering! What was their relationship?

The sound of footsteps approaching startled her. She turned around and saw Robert walking towards her. He smiled and wrapped his arm around her shoulder. "You've been gone for a while and I came to check on you." He glanced at the picture and grinned. "Who would have thought you would be admiring a random picture in the hallway? We took that photo four years ago in Boston."

"Who is she?" Sarah asked, trying to sound as casual as possible.

"Oh, that's Cynthia Morgan, the prime minister's daughter. We called her Cindy." He was silent for a minute as if trying to recall something. His smile faded and he spoke again in a soft voice, "She is the woman who killed his heart."

Sarah's whole body tensed from the information. No wonder that girl approached her last time. It turns out she was Henry's ex! She didn't know why, but she felt uncomfortable knowing about Henry's ex. She suddenly wanted to know more. "Where is she?"

Robert thought for a while. "I don't know. I haven't seen her in a long time. Why do you ask?"

"Hehe... nothing," Sarah let out a nervous laugh and Robert gave her a quizzical look. "I just thought she looked familiar."

"Okay, enough about that," Robert said and held her hand. "Let's go back there and have a chat." He turned around and led her back to the living room where they'd left Henry. They sat on the sofa and chatted for a long while, reminiscing about their past.

"Hey Bro, are you free this evening?" Robert suddenly asked, "Let's go out and accompany me for a drink. I'm so happy today."

"Nope, I'm not free," Henry said and Robert's face collapsed. He laughed out loud and said, "But I can still find time for my buddy."

Robert sprung up from the sofa and dragged Sarah with him. "Alright, let's go."

"Did I say I'll go?"