Chapter 31: Reunion V

"Yeah, everyone saw that it was unintentional. Why do you have to be so vicious?" a few other people joined.

"Vicious?" Sarah laughed, stood up, and placed her wine glass on the table with a little more force than necessary. She took steps forward, stood next to Clara, and gave Clara a sharp look that made her shiver. "Then, I'll show you what vicious is. Take this as broadening your horizons. No need to thank me."

Without giving anyone time to react, she grabbed Clara by her hair and dunked her head into the aquarium beside them. Pin drop silence for a few seconds before loud gasps were heard in the room.

"Pfff...Cough... cough!" Someone choked on their drinks and a few were not so lucky and had their faces sprayed with wine mixed with saliva. No one could blame them at all. Who knew that the rational Sarah would someday be irrational?

Sarah had no intention of murdering anyone. She pulled Clara out from the water and let her take a breather. As soon as she got out, she let out a blood-curdling scream accompanied by a string of curses.

"Tsk... Filthy." Sarah shook her head and dunked Clara into the water again. "Since your mother didn't teach you some manners, I don't mind cleaning you up a little."

"Sarah, stop!" Brandon finally reacted and helped get Clara out of the water. Clara immediately took a few steps back and hid behind him. She stood at the side with a pitiful expression as she wiped the water from her face but she did not dare scream this time in case Sarah dunked her again. Although the hatred in her eyes did not recede at all, she feared Sarah from the bottom of her heart.

Everyone's eyes fell on her and they did not know how to react. Her makeup was ruined, and the black mascara smeared all over her face. Her foundation now mixed with water trickled down her neck, staining her beautiful dress. It would have been a perfect face if this was a Halloween night.

From the flowery expressions on the other's faces, it was clear that the way they looked at Sarah had changed. They were used to the gentle, understanding, and cool-tempered Sarah. She had never reacted even to extreme unfairness and would always solve her issues in a rational way. Everyone knew this, that's why Clara had the guts to find trouble with her all the time. This version of her made everyone realize that this was not the gentle girl they knew.

"Too cool!" Robert and Gloria cheered at the same time. Gloria looked at her with eyes of worship that made her feel goosebumps all over. Most people had felt uncomfortable with Clara's antiques but no one dared to make a move since she had a mysterious background and Brandon backing her up. They could not hide their joy since someone helped them vent their anger.

"You are going too far," Brandon said through grit teeth. He looked at miserable Clara and his heart ached. He couldn't help but clench his hands as his expression turned ugly at this blatant humiliation. He came with a woman and he couldn't even protect her. "Sarah, don't make a scene!"

"Don't make a scene?" Sarah laughed – a laughter that sent chills down their spines. "Who are you to tell me what I can and can't do?" she lifted his chin with her index finger, looked him in the eye, and sneered at him, "I'm sorry to disappoint you because I'll make as much scene as I want and there's nothing you can do about it."

Clara was so mad that she almost passed out from anger. She rushed out of the room as she couldn't stand being in the same room any longer. She left the room in a hurry to take a bath and change out of this mess.

Brandon hesitated for a while but in the end, he followed Clara out and helped her check into a room.

Clara's lips curved into a smug smile when Brandon followed her out. So what if he loves Sarah? He still chose her in the end. Although Sarah had embarrassed her in front of everyone, Sarah had indeed fully fallen out with Brandon.

In one way or another, her mission can be considered complete. At least Brandon cared for her and Sarah had truly lost, or so she thought. She won in the end. Her smile widened as she thought of this. But who would tell her that Sarah wasn't competing with her at all?

Sarah straightened her back and raised her head to meet the strange gazes in front of her. The entire party had turned into a fighting show and she was the main character. since she had the attention, she wouldn't mind making a special announcement.

She could feel the judgmental gazes of others but she didn't care. She had lost too much, and losing something more wouldn't matter. She might as well take this opportunity to let the world know her authentic self. She opened her mouth and said, "The Sarah you've always known is a fake." She pointed at her nose and continued, "This is the real one."

After throwing the bomb, she did not care about the farce anymore and walked towards the washrooms. She wriggled out of her filthy dress and took out a maroon scarf that Emily had shoved into her handbag.

Thanks to the numerous DIY videos she had watched before; she transformed her scarf with the help of a belt and a hair tie into a gorgeous outfit. She took one last look in the mirror and smiled. It turned out better than she thought.

She went back to her small table and poured another glass of wine. Although dealing with Clara felt satisfying, she knew some things couldn't be solved by violence. The emotional aspects of the whole thing would take some time to heal. What she needed now was time. she pushed the unhappy thoughts to the back of her mind for now.

On the brighter side, she finally had a chance to undo the knot in her heart and let out her real self that had been repressed for too long. She continued chatting and drinking with her friends, ignoring the fire she had started in the room.

Henry swirled the wine in his glass as he watched her from a distance. He did not regret attending this part at all.

Sarah downed the wine in her glass in one gulp and stood up. "If you will excuse me, I'm leaving now." Sarah grabbed her handbag from her chair and slung it on her shoulder. She staggered towards the door with an almost empty bottle of wine in her hand.

Gloria looked at her departing back and asked, "Will she be okay?"

"I think so," Robert said and shook his head, "among the three of us, she has the highest probability of getting home safe. Nothing will happen to her."

"You are right," Gloria said as she slumped into her chair, wasted. Half the remaining people weren't much better than her. It is a good thing this hotel room was booked for the night.

Henry, who had stepped out at an unknown time, walked in at this moment. He noticed her staggering towards the door. He knew that the whole event had dealt a major blow to her.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be taking Sarah home. Please enjoy the rest of the night." He suddenly announced and made his way to Sarah.

"Go on, she's all yours." The crowd cheered.

Robert became alert and gave a warning look that seemed to say, Touch her and you are dead.  Henry flashed a sly smile as he shook his car keys.