Chapter 11

Elijah

It was Friday, marking the end of week one for our game. Chase and I had a goal to finish the basis of our game that week so that when the next week came, we could go straight into developing a playable first episode. And we did just that.

As the sound of coffee being poured into a cup resonated through the room, I typed out the dialogue for the opening episode. Meanwhile, Chase was yawning at the coffee machine before grabbing the hot mug.

Settling down next to me, he carefully placed his mug on the table, the warm steam wafting up in the air. With determination, he focused on completing the last scene he had to draw. As I looked at the main character he had drawn, I couldn't help but notice the striking resemblance to myself - the contours of the face, the tone of the skin, the shape of the eyes, and even the lips looked like mine. Only the hair was different, and it was slight.

"Is there something wrong?" he asked.

I snapped out of my trance. "No. It's nothing." I sat up straight and continued to type. "Your work is really good by the way."

"Thank you." I could hear the smile in his voice.

As we worked on our project, I heard chattering outside our door.

"I think we have the final decision," I heard a deep voice say.

"Finally. I'm excited to know who the Channel Manager will be," a softer voice exclaimed.

They continued to talk, and their voices faded along with their footsteps.

I recognized the first voice, and it was from a guy named Theodore. He was the manager of the social media side of things, so I had a feeling he knew who was getting the promotion. Then I thought, if the decision was made, then someone must have completed the paperwork.

I had already planned on staying late to finish our project before the weekend, so me staying late wasn't gonna look suspicious. I was gonna wait until everyone left home for the night before going into Theodore's office to see who got the promotion.

As I got lost in my thoughts, the gentle knock at the door brought me back to the present time.

"Come in," I said.

Evan entered, his footsteps barely audible on the carpeted floor. In one hand, he held his sleek laptop, its metallic surface reflecting the soft, warm light in the room. In the other was a cup of coffee.

"I'm here to do the end-of-the-week check-in before I head out for the day," Evan said.

He pulled a chair and settled next to me, his eyes scanning the room. As his gaze landed on Chase and me, a tired smile tugged at the corners of his lips. "Damn, you guys look exhausted," he chuckled.

In response, Chase and I shared a synchronized yawn, our laughter filling the room.

"Today has been a fucking long one." I sighed.

"So which one of you guys want to show me what you got?"

"I can show you what I got so far," Chase volunteered, his voice carrying a hint of excitement. Evan rose from his seat, his footsteps echoing softly as he approached Chase's computer. Chase went over all the details as he showcased the intricate designs, captivating characters, and innovative gameplay ideas.

"Looks good," Evan said, his words accompanied by a genuine, bright smile that illuminated his tired face. His attention shifted to my computer screen.

I sighed as I clicked to the beginning of some of the work I had done. Evan clicked his pen as I went through my slides.