Chapter 17

As the credits rolled onto the screen, I was the first one up and out of there. I didn't wanna see Chase and Alejandro kiss or do whatever they were gonna do.

In the bathroom, I splashed some water on my face. I needed to snap myself out of my thoughts. I needed to stay strong.

"Elijah, are you okay?"

"Chase." I turned the water off and wiped my face. "What are you doing here? Where's Alejandro?"

"With Maggie. What's going on with you?"

"Chase. I just need a moment."

"Moment for what? Elijah, what's wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong. Don't worry about me. Just go on your date."

"Elijah, just tell me. You've been acting weird all day."

I sighed. "Chase, I-"

"You what, Elijah?"

I didn't think it was the right time to tell him, but there wasn't ever gonna be a good time to tell him, so I gave myself no choice. I had to tell him.

"I think I like you, Chase."

Chase's eyes widened, and for a moment, the world seemed to hold its breath. The dim light from the bathroom mirror made shadows on his face, emphasizing the furrow between his brows. His lips parted, but no words came out. It was as if the universe had paused, waiting for him to respond.

I swallowed hard, my heart pounding against my ribs. Why had I blurted it out like that? In a bathroom, with water droplets clinging to my skin, and my pulse racing like a runaway train. But there was no turning back. I'd already crossed the line, and Chase deserved to know the truth.

His eyes welled up, and he pushed me.

"You can't just push me away and then drop this shit on me, Elijah. I told you how Joel treated me. How he would like me one day and disappear the next! You can't buy me flowers, then say you don't like me, just to tell me that you like me. I'm not a fool, Elijah. You're just messing with me."

"I'm not."

"Please save it. Just like Joel, you cannot stand on your feelings. I don't want to be a second choice, a not-sure decision. I'm tired of people I like not being sure about me. I want someone to want me for once. I want someone to not push me away. And that someone isn't you or Joel. My feelings are not to be messed with. I deserve someone who wants me and knows that they want me."

"I'm sorry."

He was standing in front of me... crying in a public bathroom. I embarrassed him. I made him vulnerable in a place where everyone could witness like he was a movie.

Chase's eyes, all red and vulnerable, were staring deep into my soul. His eyes pleaded for understanding, for love, for something to bridge the gap that had widened between us. But I had no answers. Longing and fear had torn me apart in the crossfire of my heart.

"Is everything okay in here?" Alejandro asked as he came into the bathroom.

"Asshole," Chase said to me before he stormed out of the bathroom.

Alejandro looked at me with his furrowed brows and squinted eyes as he tried to figure out what happened.

I couldn't bear to meet Alejandro's eyes, not when guilt and regret churned inside me.

"Go with him. He needs you," I said.

"Okay. You guys get home safe. I'll bring him to you afterward."

"Yeah."

Alejandro rushed out of the bathroom and I followed him to meet up with Maggie.

As we made our way to my car, Maggie gave me a concerned look, her eyes searching my face for answers. "What happened back there?" she asked, her voice soft.