Ten

"Please, Ada," I whined.

"Don't use that omega whine on me, Ru," Ada snapped. She looked like she would cave to my plea, but thankfully, she was a beta, and she wasn't as overpowered by an omega's whine as I wished at that moment.

Polly had left at dusk to cook dinner next door for the family, but Ada had stayed to take care of me. She had made me soup and forced me to consume two bowls for lunch and one bowl for dinner, even though I would much rather have subsisted solely on cigarettes and morphine.

I was curled in on myself on the couch, the heat a fever-like fire racing across my skin, through my veins, until every part of me was alive with pain. My perfume spread around me, hot like warm honey over fresh buttery biscuits, filling every room of the house. "I need my opium."

"You need an alpha." Ada walked around the couch and stopped next to the front door, shrugging on her coat and grabbing her bag. "I'm going next door to get John."

"Arthur." Arthur, whose eyes were as blue as the sky. Arthur, who knew what it was to be broken. Arthur, who had had nothing to do with buying me from Madame Zilpha. Arthur, who had never lied to me about who he was or his intentions toward me. He had only ever been my helper and my protector. Arthur wouldn't be gentle, but I didn't need gentle. I needed someone I trusted. "Arthur."

Ada patted my hair, which was strewn around me on the couch in a mess. "Alright, I'll get Arthur. He'll be right here, Ru." The door shut closed behind her, shuttering the apartment and me inside.

I clutched Ada's robe closer around my body. The moment she was gone, I regretted her absence. I wished she would come right back, only so I could cling to her soft hands and beg her to take me back to when I had never experienced a heat. I needed someone, anyone to cling to in the dark moments when the pain crept back in until I was screaming into the couch cushion.

I reeled over the side of the couch, rolling onto the floor in a heap, feeling like I might wretch from the pain. Nothing arose, all the soup Ada had fed me had gone down the drain with my frequent bathroom trips, and I was left dry heaving nothing, my stomach clenching around nothing, my core clenching around nothing, clenching so tight that I felt like I would push my very womb from my body.

The door to Watery Lane shoved open. Arthur's cologne, hot like a forge, smelling like metal and petrol and exhaust fumes and burning coal, pervaded the room, mingling with the heavy honey perfume of my need.

I pushed myself into a sitting position on the wooden floor, ignoring how the hard wood stung against my kneecaps and how the cold swooshing in from outside made me shiver unwarranted, clinging Ada's robe tighter to my body.

Arthur stood just inside the threshold of the door, his broken knuckles turning white as he gripped the door with such force it was a wonder it didn't come off its hinges. He wore a pair of thick brown suspenders, holding up pants that barely contained the bulge between his legs. His thin pin-striped undershirt was rolled up beneath his elbows, leaving bare the taut muscles of his forearms, veins running down across his arms and over his wrists and the backs of his hands, gruff from the war and the killing. But his eyes, his eyes were clear blue like the sky reflected on the lake water, shiny and glistening like glass, every emotion a visible ripple on the surface.

Arthur hissed as he took a sharp breath inward. He slammed the door shut behind him. His voice was a growl when he said my name like a prayer, "Ruby."

His voice was deep and rough like his hands, and my name on his lips sent shivers down my spine. Pain rushed from my body like a receding tide, and the next wave was all pleasure, heat and need filling my blood and flesh and heart and cunt.