Part 5

"I can't believe you gave her my address."

A bag filled with bagels came flying on Irene's desk, while Jennie rushed past it, into her office. The brunette gave the bag only a quick glance, then raising a brow, she stood and followed the other woman.

"Good morning to you, too," Irene said, closing the door behind her, barely able to stifle a grin. "So I assume she came to see you last night?"

Jennie let herself fall into her chair, ran a hand through her hair, glaring at her secretary and friend, "I don't like the way you're saying this. You make it sound as if we were having hot and steamy sex last night."

The second brow rose as well, "And? Did you?"

"Irene!" Jennie shook her head. She didn't know why she was still surprised by the blunt remarks of the other woman. But she was. Probably she would never completely get used to Bae Joohyun . "I'm not you. Besides," she sighed, closed her eyes for a moment, "She's Kai's sister."

Irene's eyes almost bulged out of her head, "she's, what?" She jumped from the chair, started to pace the office. "That slimy weasel. He just doesn't stop at anything."

Jennie straightened, "What are you talking about?"

"Well, it's clear as day. Kai wants the Project. You want that Project too. And now he uses his sister for this." She stopped, then with a groan let herself fall back into the chair, "And I gave her your address."

"So you gave her my address," Jennie said triumphantly. "But you are wrong on the rest. We didn't talk about it, but I have a feeling she and Kai aren't on the best of terms."

Irene's brows shot up again, "Well, that's good then."

"Yeah. And no. I mean, yeah, it's good she and Kai aren't pals. They aren't really brother-sister. They aren't even related. Lisa's father married Kai's mother." She saw the brunette smile, and held up a hand, "But still, this is a mess. I cannot be with Lisa, while ..."

"Ah. So you're already thinking about her in terms of 'being with her'." A sly grin appeared on Irene's face.

"Irene, I hardly know her."

"Didn't know that was needed for hot, steamy sex," the secretary muttered.

Jennie rolled her eyes, "Is that all you can think about? Hot, steamy sex? That might be your thinking, but it isn't mine. I never had a one-night stand in my life..." Wrong, her inner voice whispered. Yeah, she'd had a onenight stand. But not because she wanted to. She had thought she'd found something wonderful. Something special. It had been a nightmare. It had cost her dearly.

"Well, then it's long time for one."

Jennie sighed, "I can't. I'm not like you. I want to know her; I want to actually like her before ... you know. The problem is ... I could like her. A lot, actually. And I'm not sure I want that."

"You know," Irene said, standing up, giving Jennie a long, hard look. "That's just so you. I'm giving you the opportunity to have a great one-night thing, and in typical Jennie-fashion you have to make it all complicated and ...," she threw her hands in the air, "I don't know what to do with you."

***

Lisa yawned when she entered the small office, she and Jackson had rented for their detective agency. It wasn't in the best part of town, but it was okay. It wasn't big, but that didn't matter. It was what they were able to pay, and so far it had been enough.

The office had a small reception area with a desk and a computer - bought second hand. It was Jiyeon's place. She was their secretary, sort of. Two days after opening the agency, Jackson and Lisa had found her on the doorsteps, half starved, dirty, with clothes torn. She'd been slightly confused, but after feeding her, and cleaning her up, they hadn't been able to get rid of her. She stuck to them like glue.