Hero Anna

The bridge

It's a cold July evening, and things have just gotten too much. As you sit on the bench at the bridge. The wind flowing through your wavy hair. "It's time." you muttered to yourself while scrunching your eyes as tight as can be. As you grasp onto the bench arms, pulling yourself up. Taking a deep breath you lifted your head up high, walking towards the edge of the bridge.

Once you had reached the edge, there was nothing more to think about, but to do what you want to be done. Lifting your right leg up and over the warm metal edge, followed closely by your left leg. As you face towards the bridge you see people begin to gather in front of you. But that changes nothing. You quickly turn your whole body around, still gripping onto the ledge. Now facing away from the bridge there only seems one more thing to do. But out of nowhere you hear a faint squeal over the voices in your head. Is this a real squeal or just another voice?

Within seconds of the squeal you could hear footsteps, almost sprinting. Then another squeal followed, but a lot closer this time. Your eyes get blurry with the tears filling up. With just one blink tears fall instantly. From behind you hear "please don't do it". You bite your lip and turn your head to see who it was. Stood before you is Anna Kendrick. She stands with good posture, but clearly trembling. She's only 2 metres or so away from you. Taking one more small step towards you, a tear falls down her cheek, breaking your heart even more. "please please please" she whispers, followed by "I need you". There is silence all around as you stare for what seems like forever into her beautiful blue sparkling eyes.

As she takes another few steps towards you everything becomes clear. "What the hell am I doing" flows through your mind over and over. The next thing you feel, after feeling numb for months, is Anna's small hands grasp onto your arms. She is just inches from you as you continue to gaze deep into her soul. "I love you" came from her half open mouth as she continued to bite her lip. "we love you".

She let go with one hand trying to hold on to you but yet take her jacket off, switching hands at convenience. Swinging her jacket over the edge to wrap it around your cold shoulders as the wind blew stronger. Anna looked so cold, but you knew instantly from that, she cared. She cared about you.

Tightly wrapping her arms around you she placed her head on your shoulder and you could feel the warm tears of hers soaking through the jacket. She stroked your back gently trying to reassure you. The love overtook the determination to jump. Anna turned her head slightly to rest her ear on your shoulder now, whispering "please come away from the edge". Her tear fell down your neck as she gripped you tighter.

She held on as tight as can be until you finally decided to come back over the ledge. As you leaped back over Anna sighed in relief, hugging you still. "don't you ever do that again" she raised her voice slightly, pressing her forehead against yours to make her point. Kissing you lightly on the cheek she pulls you even further away from the edge. She saved your life, that day, and forever in the future.

And remember, not all heroes wear capes.