Chapter 21: Yuletide Enigma

"Good morning, Upper East Siders. It's Christmas Eve, and we've had a long day ahead. But before you cozy up by the fire with a cup of hot cocoa, let's take a peek into the glittering world of Manhattan's elite.

As the first rays of sunlight filter through the towering skyscrapers, the city awakens to the promise of a day filled with festivities and cheer. But amidst the hustle and bustle of holiday preparations, secrets simmer beneath the surface, waiting to be uncovered.

Liam's hands tightened around the steering wheel as he navigated through the bustling streets of Manhattan, his eyes scanning the crowded thoroughfares with a sense of unease. There it was again—the sleek black car that had been trailing him since the incident on Christmas Eve.

With a furrowed brow, Liam reached for his phone, his fingers tapping out a quick message to his assistant. He needed answers, and he needed them fast.

"Hey, it's Liam. I need you to run a background check on a black sedan. License plate is XYZ 123. Find out everything you can—owner, registered address, any connections to recent incidents. ASAP."

Sending the message with a sense of urgency, Liam's mind raced with possibilities. Was the mysterious car connected to the tampered brakes? Was someone following him and Taylor, or was it just a coincidence?

As he waited for a response, Liam's grip on the wheel tightened, his senses on high alert as he kept a wary eye on the shadowy figure trailing him through the maze of Manhattan's streets.

In the opulent surroundings of her penthouse, Selena moved gracefully from room to room, her reflection flickering in the mirrored surfaces as she prepared for Christmas. The air was suffused with the scent of jasmine and vanilla, mingling with the soft strains of classical music drifting from the stereo.

"Good morning, Miss Selena," Luisa greeted, her voice warm and cheerful as she bustled into the room, a tray of freshly brewed coffee in hand. "I brought your favorite blend. And there's a special delivery for you as well."

Selena's eyes lit up at the mention of coffee, a grateful smile spreading across her lips as she accepted the steaming cup from Luisa's outstretched hand. "Thank you, Luisa," she said, her voice tinged with genuine appreciation. "You always know just what I need."

As Selena adjusted the final details of her impeccable ensemble, the sound of the door opening drew her attention. In swept Carol, her mother, with an air of Parisian sophistication, her arms linked with those of a handsome stranger.

"Selena, darling, look who's here!" Carol's voice was tinged with excitement as she ushered the man into the room.

Selena's eyes narrowed at the sight of the unfamiliar face, her lips pursing into a tight line of disapproval. "And who might this be?" she asked, her tone cool and composed.

Carol beamed with pride as she introduced the man. "This is Daniel, my fiancé," she announced, her voice tinged with a hint of nervous anticipation.

Selena's facade cracked for just a moment, her carefully cultivated poise giving way to a flash of disbelief and incredulity. "Fiancé?" she echoed, her voice laced with skepticism. "Mother, please tell me you're joking."

But Carol's expression remained resolute, her eyes shining with a mixture of hope and determination. "I'm afraid not, darling," she replied, her voice steady despite Selena's obvious resistance. "Daniel and I have decided to take the next step in our relationship."

Selena's jaw clenched with barely contained frustration as she struggled to process her mother's unexpected announcement. "And what about Dad?" she demanded, her voice tinged with accusation. "Have you forgotten about him already?"