CHAPTER TWO

MY WITNESS BRINGS ME INTO EXISTENCE

===

The throbbing pain coursing through Angel's body was a stark contrast to the soft bed she was laying on as she woke up. Wincing slightly, she opened her eyes, glancing around the dark room that she was in now.

"What the fuck..."

"Angel?" A soft voice turned Angel's attention to a familiar face, one which immediately sent relief through her; it was Clara. "Oh, thank God you're okay, sweetie..."

Any trace of worry quickly left her as she reached up, running soft fingers through Angel's hair. "Jesus... How long was I out?" Angel mumbled, glancing around. Tom was there too, looking relieved as well, and he was accompanied by another man sitting in the corner, one that Angel did not recognize immediately.

"Not long," Clara explained. "We were so worried when we saw the state of you... what happened?"

Angel winced as she tried to remember. "Some dicks at school found me," she explained. "I tried to get them to leave me alone... ended up hitting one of them, 'cause he tried to take my notebook - where is that?"

Tom reached down, picking up the notebook, and Angel sighed softly. "Thank god..."

"They left it alone," Tom reassured her. "It was beside you when we found you. Damn bullies..." A hint of rage shone in his normally calm eyes. "They're your age, aren't they? Maybe we should press charges."

"I hit Brandon first," Angel said. "And hit him hard, too. They could do the same for me, and say they were defending themselves. I'd just leave it."

She shrugged, wincing a little at the pain in her arm as she did so. Clara's fingers still gently ran through her hair, calming her nerves slightly further. "How'd you find me, by the way?" she asked.

"Well, we came to the park a little bit before it happened," Clara explained softly. "It was on the way home from the store, so we thought we'd drop by to see you. We were horrified to hear about what happened, but this nice gentleman explained the situation and said that he saved you."

Clara gestured to the stranger in the corner. "He says that he knows you."

Angel sat up slightly, tilting her head as she observed him closely. From what she could gather due to the fact that he was sitting, he was tall and quite lanky, with stringy, shoulder-length hair that hung down in curtains around his face. His ears were unnaturally pointy, sticking out from his hair, and his thin face wore an expression of nervousness as he glanced up at her.

"Uh, howdy," she mumbled, tilting her head slightly. Looking into the stranger's eyes, she was surprised by their color - a deep crimson, as if they were made of blood, just as warm as they were chilling. He watched her with an almost fierce intensity, as if he was searching for something within her soul; Angel was slightly startled by this, but she didn't look away. She couldn't, not when this man's gaze comforted her in a way that only one other had, despite the slight fear it held.

"It really is you..." the stranger said, and Angel's breath caught in her throat.

He sounded just like...

"You do know him?" Clara asked softly, tilting her head as she watched the two interact. Angel paused, collecting her thoughts, before raising a hand and pointing at the not-stranger.

"You," she muttered, gesturing with her hand as her words failed her. "You're-"

"Yeah," he said, nodding. "It's me, Angel."

"Holy fucking shit..." Angel breathed, blinking furiously as if this was a dream, and that this man was merely an anomaly in her vision. "Um. Cool... So it worked, didn't it? Obviously it did, you're right fucking here... the words aren't wording..."