CHAPTER FOURTEEN

STILL FORSAKEN SHOULDERS FALL SILENT NOW

===

The rest of the day passed in a mild state of discomfort. It was clear to Erebus that the presence of Angel's parents in the family's life was causing them a mild state of distress. None of them said much at dinner, save for Tom talking about his important and busy day tomorrow, how he was planning for the Feynman family to come over for dinner, and Clara chatting with somewhat forced excitement about making a nice meal for their guests. Angel had mumbled something about baking cookies with Erebus before they arrived tomorrow, and Clara had nodded in approval.

It was an unspoken mutual agreement between Angel and Erebus that he would stay with her that night, just as he had the previous night. Not only would the two of them feel more comfortable like that, but it would also give Erebus a chance to stay close with Angel, and provide her comfort while she slept. In the back of his mind, he was wondering if she would end up having a nightmare, just as he had last night. Either way, he was prepared to help her, recalling the way she had calmed him down and helped to keep him grounded in reality back when he had been panicking. If something happened to her, he was prepared to keep her safe, no matter what.

When Angel awoke the next morning to the distant sound of the front door opening, she felt as if she had been boiled alive in a slow-cooker for the entire night. Somehow, the sensation was far from uncomfortable for her, since she knew that it was provided by Erebus being so close beside her. It made her feel so safe when he was around, in a way she was unfamiliar with, but in a way that she wouldn't trade it for anything else.

As she came to her senses, she became aware of a pair of arms encircling her waist, with a warm hand settled on her stomach. Soft breaths puffed on the back of her neck, and she wondered how long Erebus had been holding her like this without her being aware of it. She didn't even know if he was aware of it, and a part of her was grateful for this, because she didn't know how he would react to being in this position.

Here, in his arms, she felt safe and loved. She didn't want that to change.

Lifting her head off of the pillow, she glanced behind her, and nearly leapt out of her skin as she saw that he was awake, half-lidded crimson eyes meeting hers as a small smile crossed his face.

"Hi," he murmured.

"Jesus..." Angel mumbled, chuckling a little. "I didn't realize you were awake... Did you get any sleep last night?"

Erebus nodded. "I didn't go to the- I mean, I didn't have any dreams last night... none that I remember, anyway."

Angel smiled a little, resting her head back on the pillow. "That's good... I'm glad that you tried sleeping again."

"I felt safe doing it with you around."

A blush arose on Angel's face as Erebus said this, but it was one of pride, of happiness that she was able to have this effect on him. That was really all she wanted, for him to feel as safe as she did whenever he was near.

After a moment, she turned around so that she was facing Erebus, nuzzling her face into his neck. He was slightly taken aback by the sudden affection, but he certainly wasn't complaining - his arms tightened slightly around her, and he held her close, resting his head on top of hers.

"Thank you..." she whispered.

"For what?"

Angel quietly hummed as she closed her eyes. "Everything."

"I think I should be the one saying that to you," Erebus murmured. "I just want to show you the same love you've shown me."

Angel let out a quiet scoff. "I might be wrong, but I don't think you'd go as far as to kiss me just to piss someone off..."

🎉 You've finished reading ...𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐋, 𝐁𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐍𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐕𝐄 || gameknight999 🎉