Chapter 34: Broken Confessions

As the two of you stare at the distance, a somber silence envelops the room. You can feel the weight of unspoken emotions pressing down on your shoulders. But then, the dam bursts—

"I'm sorry—I'm so sorry to hear that Evie—" your voice cracks as you reach out and pull her into a tight embrace, seeking solace in each other's arms.

"I just—" Eve's gaze drifts upwards, her eyes wanders through the skies as she lets out a frustrated sigh. "Why..?" her voice trails off, choking with emotion as a tear trickled down her cheek—seemingly unable to cry any further, as if she had already emptied all her tears.

Gently, you begin to pat her back, offering any little comfort you can give. "The fact that I thought my life's burden were—I didn't know.. I'm sorry—"

"I'm sorry too, Emily.." Eve's voice wavers as she sniffles, her own tears mingling with yours.

A smile suddenly breaks off on your face while you praise, "You know—the poem was so—good though. I never—knew nerdy Evie could make something—quite touching like that—"

Letting out a light chuckle, Reed boasts, "I guess grief has its perks, huh?"

You both exchange a half-hearted laugh. As you rest your head on her shoulders, your expression hardens, whimpering softly, "But no EveI already knew anyway."

"What.." Eve's expression shifts to one of surprise as she turns to look at you, "you finally—"

"He chose someone else," you declare, voice barely above a whisper, "again. And it's ok, I'm used to it anyway. And—when I think about it—it's for the best. We shouldn't say it out loud. Our rules are—there for a reason, anyway. He really is clever that one."

There's a bitter edge to your words, a hint of resignation in the face of repeated disappointment. Eve rolls her head away in disbelief, releasing a sharp sigh. However, a look of curiosity crosses Reed's face as she asks,

"Wait, but what about—"

"Hunt! Come here!"

The coach's voice booms across the baseball field. Dominic was called from the field after his stellar play. Under these blue skies, you and Tara are sitting side by side on the upper section, watching the game intently as cheers and shouts of the crowd fill the air. As the game progresses, Tara suddenly nudges you, her eyes widening with excitement.

"Your bestie's time~"

You follow her gaze to notice Tyler being called out to the field. As he goes, his teammates shout, 'Hit some logs, bro!' as he smirks and jogs onto the field with a confident stride, athleticism evident in every step. However, what you also notice.. is the way his stride falters ever so slightly..

When Dominic's glare pierces through him as they pass each other.

Time seems to slow down as their eyes lock. For a moment, it feels like the entire stadium holds its breath.. but not as tense as you, gripping the edges of your seat. Dominic's glare pierces through him—and for a heartbeat, it feels like the tension could snap at any moment.