one: fish out of water

A year later

COOL AIR CONDITIONING bit at my exposed skin as Layla and I stepped into the headquarters of Malibu Rescue, my skin pimpling in response. It was so hot outside that I put on a cropped T-shirt and high-waisted shorts, but I forget that buildings are always colder. I brushed a shorter piece of hair out of my eyes, confused for a second as to why it was so short. I cut it a month ago, taking away the hair that held memories of pain and heartache. 

Layla oohed and ahhed at the standing, 3-D model of Malibu Beach. She drew closer and smiled at the tiny people populating the sand and water, and my heart skipped a beat in my chest. I tore my gaze away from the plastic water, the crashing sound of waves hitting my ears. I clasped the clipboard tight to my chest, gazing out through the tall windows. 

Families, couples, and friends milled around the beach. The beach went on for miles, and white guard towers rose from the sand. Malibu Junior Rescue worked here during the summers, which meant that Layla and I were spending our days with the best of the best lifeguards on this side of Malibu. Well, sort of. Training season began a few days ago, and the Crucible was coming up. Hopefully, the trainees would stay out of my way. 

"Camilla, did you see this miniature scale version of Malibu beach?" Layla asked, her voice cutting through the quiet lobby. I spun around and saw her crouching down, her bright blue eyes trained on the small guard tower that had a black number two painted on the side. "How much time do you think it took to make this?"

"I'm not sure," I said, slowly walking over to her. My flip-flops squeaked against the newly polished tile floor, and my face flushed in embarrassment. Thankfully, no one else was in the lobby, especially Brody. He'd make fun of me until the day I died. "Where do you think Mr. Cross is? I thought he was meeting us here . . ."

Layla stood up, brushing her jean skirt off. Her blonde bangs fell in her eyes, but she didn't bother moving them out of her sight. "He's probably busy," she said, shaking her head. "Malibu Junior Rescue training season started recently, so he's probably dealing with that." A disgusted look flashed across her face as she put her hand on her hip. She motioned me forward, and I followed her lead. Layla leaned in and whispered, "Apparently, some Valley kids are trying to be in Junior Rescue. I was part of it when I was in high school, but it was only for Malibu kids."

I blinked at her, wondering what she was talking about. "So what?" I asked. "The Valley kids should have a chance to work here, too."

She blew out a breath, ruffling her bangs. "True, but it's Malibu Junior Rescue, not Valley Junior Rescue."

I rolled my eyes, turning away from her. Layla worked with Sage before her death since she was a college student at the local university. She graduated this past year, so she was immediately offered a job here to run the department Sage came up with. I just so happened to be hired, too, even though I was still in high school. I guess Layla forgot that Sage was from the Valley, though no one remembered that after her traumatic death here in Malibu. 

A rush of tears burned my eyes, and I blinked them away. I had to get my thoughts under control, or else I would drown in them. 

"Ah, good, you girls are here," a male's voice said from behind us, saving me from my thoughts. I looked over my shoulder and saw a man wearing a puka shell necklace in addition to his red Malibu Junior Rescue shirt and khaki shorts. He held his hand out for Layla to shake but didn't do the same for me after she dropped it. "I am Garvin Cross, leader of Malibu Junior Rescue. The mayor told me I needed to hire you two so you can protect the turtles or whatever."

Anger rippled in my stomach, but I held it back. I didn't want to yell at my new boss on my first day. "Do we get an office?" Layla asked, an unsure tone pricking her high-pitched voice. She glanced back at me, her eyebrows shooting into her blonde bangs. "Because, when we signed up for the job, we were promised an office."