two: beach side blues

MOM AND DAD stood side-by-side at the top of the driveway holding matching steaming coffee mugs. Muggy air hung around my shoulders as I exited the house, struggling with the cloth bag that held all the posters I wanted to put up around the beach. Most of my papers were folded up at the bottom of the bag, and others were hanging out at the top of the bag, not wanting to go in. I had ruined all of them, that was for sure.

I stumbled down the front steps of the porch, hurrying toward my blue Jeep Rubicon. My alarm didn't go off at the right time today, so I was running late already. I didn't want to talk to Mom or Dad in case Cross figured out I was late and decided to get rid of our office like he wanted to. I already texted Layla to be on the lookout, but she didn't respond. She was most likely angry with me for not setting my alarm last night. 

"Camilla, you look so grown up!" Mom said as I hurried past them, trying to get my things in the car. A huge gust of wind knocked into me, and my pieces of paper that didn't make it into the bag caught the wind. In a flash, the papers that I worked so hard on to explain the purpose of saving the sea turtles flew away from me. "Oh, honey, I'm sorry."

I held my breath so I didn't say anything too mean to her or the posters. With one hand, I unlocked the car, and with the other, I opened the passenger door. My bag landed on the seat with a thud, and I slammed the door shut, jumping when Mom and Dad appeared right there behind me. 

"I need to get to work," I said, brushing a piece of my dark hair out of my eyes. They didn't move from their spot, though, so I was stuck between a rock and a hard place -- literally. I wished they'd get the hint. "You know, today's not my first day of work. Last week was. You don't have to . . ." I trailed off and then motioned to them. ". . . to do whatever you guys are doing right now."

Mom sighed, shaking her head. Her face was pinched in a frown, her eyes dark behind her glasses. I softened a little bit. "You're our baby, and we missed your first day," she said, reaching out and placing a hand on my shoulder. She squeezed it once, her eyes growing watery. "That's why we're here right now. Work can wait."

Dad smiled at me. "It can't wait too long," he said, chuckling. The nice feeling that was spreading through my veins froze for a moment, but I didn't let it show on my face. The ice crept through my skin, though, leaving my arms prickled. "Have a good day, honey. We love you."

"Love you, too," I said, forcing a smile on my face. They each hugged me before letting me go from my corner. I opened up the driver's side door and hopped in, quickly shutting the door behind me. Mom and Dad stood back at the top of the driveway again, looking like the typical American dream with their white picket fence house behind them, the stunning view of the Malibu sunrise floating up in the distance. They worked hard for this little life here, and I should have felt proud to be their daughter. I started the car and rolled down the window. Sticking my head out, I said, "I'll see you guys later!"

They raised their mugs at me like in a toast, and then I backed down the driveway. It didn't take me long to get to the beach since we lived down the coast. Annoyance traveled up my spine as I pulled into a random parking spot. I glanced over at my sad little bag, where the flyers I made currently sat. Most of them flew away from home, but I hopefully had enough to put up around the office. I just needed to copy one and make more. 

I shut off the car and gathered my things just as the bus from the Valley pulled up behind my car. Blowing out a sigh, I hurried out of my car and kept my head down. I so didn't want to see one of the Valley boys, the one who saved me from the annoying Brody. I was flustered enough with the flight of my flyers, and there was no way I'd want to be in that boy's presence again. 

The difference between sticky, hot air and cool, artificial air was astounding. My skin prickled with goosebumps, and I hurried up the stairs, not listening to Brody's call. I slid to a stop at the entrance of the office, my eyes traveling across the short distance. Layla's desk sat in the nook at the far left of the room while mine was directly in front of the door. I blew out a sigh, ruffling some baby hairs that fell out of my bun, before walking inside.