Chapter 16: City Limits

March 14th 2024

In the softly lit therapy room, Lisa and Camila sat on opposite ends of the couch, the tension between them palpable. Dr. Crain, the experienced therapist with a calm demeanor, who helped Lisa during her alcohol problems, observed the couple with a keen eye, ready to facilitate the conversation that could potentially mend their strained relationship.

Camila shifted in her seat, her frustration evident in her body language. "I don't see how talking to a stranger about our problems is going to help," she muttered, crossing her arms defensively.

Lisa glanced at her, a mix of sadness and determination in her eyes. "We need to try something, Camila. We can't keep going on like this," she replied softly, hoping to convey her earnest desire to make things work between them.

Dr. Crain leaned forward slightly, her expression inviting. "Why don't we start by talking about what's been troubling you both recently? Camila, you mentioned that Valarie's presence has been causing issues?"

Camila took a deep breath, her frustration spilling over. "Ever since Valarie came back into Lisa's life, it's been nothing but problems. They used to date, you know. And then there was that kiss in New York," she said, her voice tinged with bitterness. "How am I supposed to trust Lisa or Valarie after that?"

Lisa's face fell at the mention of the kiss, a mistake she deeply regretted. "Camila, I've told you how sorry I am about that. It was a mistake," she said, her voice trembling with emotion.

Dr. Crain nodded, acknowledging the gravity of Camila's concerns. "It sounds like trust is a major issue here. Camila, can you tell me more about how this situation with Valarie has affected your trust in Lisa?"

Camila sighed, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "It's hard to believe that Lisa can truly move on from Valarie when she's still such a big part of her life. And the fact that they kissed... It just feels like I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop," she admitted, her voice cracking.

Lisa reached out, her hand trembling as she placed it on Camila's knee. "I love you, Camila. I'm committed to you, and I want to make this work. That's why I suggested therapy. I want to rebuild your trust in me," she said, her voice filled with sincerity.

Dr. Crain interjected gently, "Trust is something that takes time to rebuild, but it is possible. Lisa, what steps have you taken to show Camila that she can trust you again?"

Lisa took a deep breath, gathering her thoughts. "I've tried to be more open and honest about everything. I've cut back on my interactions with Valarie, and I always let Camila know where we're going to be around each other. I'm doing everything I can to show her that she's my priority," she explained, her voice steady.

Dr. Crain nodded thoughtfully. "It sounds like you're making efforts to be transparent and considerate of Camila's feelings. Camila, what do you need from Lisa to start rebuilding that trust?"

Camila hesitated, her gaze shifting between Lisa and Dr. Crain. "I need to feel like I'm the most important person in her life. I need to see consistent actions that show she's committed to us, not just words," she said finally, her voice soft but firm.

Dr. Crain smiled gently. "That's a good starting point. Trust is built through consistent, reliable actions over time. Let's work on setting some specific goals and actions that can help both of you feel more secure in this relationship."

As the session continued, the tension in the room began to ease slightly. Though the road ahead would be challenging, both Lisa and Camila felt a glimmer of hope that, with Dr. Crain's guidance, they could find their way back to each other.