Chapter 26

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

Bright's POV

I was going up the steps towards the lobby of our office building when I heard someone calling my name. Only one particular person had that kind of lilting voice that could make my heart flutter.

I stopped and turned around but did so too quickly making me lose my balance.

Fortunately I had only gone two steps up so when I fell I didn't get hurt too badly, I just suffered an ankle sprain. It probably would have been worse if Ben had not caught me in his arms.

"I need to take you to the infirmary," Ben said as he placed an arm around my waist and I placed mine around his shoulder so I could put part of my weight on him and the other part on my unaffected leg.

"How did this happen?" the nurse asked when he saw me limping into his clinic with Ben supporting half of my weight.

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

For those who might not know him, his name is Kao Noppakao Dechatthaphanakun. He has starred in some BL series, notably in "Until We Meet Again". I just thought I'd put a face to the company nurse and Kao is one of the more mature actors who could credibly fit the bill.

"He sprained his ankle," Ben answered for me.

"I can see that, but how did it happen?" the nurse repeated his question grumpily. He seemed to have a lot on his mind as he placed some medicine bottles into a cabinet. The medicine bottles seemed to have just been delivered because he was taking them out of a box whose top he had cut open and was still on his desk.

I decided to be the one to answer his question this time.

"I was climbing up the stairs to this building when I heard my lover call out my name..."

Ben gasped audibly and shook his head vigorously.

"You are both aware that office romance is strictly prohibited by our company, right?" the nurse looked sternly at both of us.

"Bright is just joking. It's not true at all that we are lovers," Ben said firmly.

"Let me look at that ankle of yours," the nurse stopped arranging the medicine bottles in the cabinet and walked over to where Ben had assisted me to sit on one of the chairs in the clinic. Ben sat on the chair right next to mine.

The nurse crouched in front of me and removed the shoe from my affected foot.

"Oww, easy there," I complained when I felt a sharp pain as he pulled off my sock from my foot.

"Rate your pain on a scale from one to ten, one being the slightest pain," the nurse said to me.

"I'd say five on my ankle and ten on my heart," I replied, turning my head to look Ben squarely in the eye.

Ben averted his face, refusing to meet my eye.

"I don't see any redness or swelling," the nurse remarked. "So I do believe that it's just a sprain and that you have not suffered any fracture on your ankle bone."

The nurse straightened up to walk over to one of the large drawers below the medicine cabinet. He took out a bottle and poured a small amount of the liquid content into a thirty cc plastic cup. Then he took out a transparent bottle that contained some cotton balls and a transparent plastic that contained an ace wrap and then walked over once more to where I was seated.

He then used a small metal tong to pull out one cotton ball and dipped it into the amber looking liquid.

"What is that liquid?" I asked with just a tinge of apprehension.

"It's a tincture of arnica," the nurse replied. "It doesn't sting at all. But it will feel cold on the skin so brace yourself. Here we go."

I sucked in my breath as he started dabbing gently on my ankle. Then he tore the plastic open and took out the ace wrap and expertly bandaged up my ankle.

"I suggest that you rest that foot for two to three days," the nurse recommended.

"I can't!" I protested. "My team has a deadline to meet. In fact we have to go to the beach this weekend to continue working there just to make sure that we're able to meet the deadline!"

While the nurse had been treating my ankle, Ben's phone had rung with a personal ringtone but he had ignored it as he watched the nurse doing the treatment on me. Then his phone had sounded a voice mail notification.

Before the nurse could reply to my protest, Ben's phone rang again. This time Ben dug out his phone from his pocket.

"Excuse me," Ben said before swiping the screen on his phone.

He walked out of the infirmary and I was left to deal with the nurse who was looking sternly at me.

"If you refuse to do as I say, that sprain of yours is not going to heal," he said. "I suggest that you let your manager know what happened so that he could contact your client to push the deadline to a later date."

I sighed. I knew that he was making sense but it annoyed me that spending the weekend on the beach with Ben would have to be postponed to a later date.

I lowered my head in resignation and just then Ben walked backed in with a certain expression on his face that I could not easily decipher but something was telling me that he was about to give me some bad news.

"Is the treatment over?" he asked as he approached me, still with that unreadable expression on his face.

"Yes," I said as I tried to stand up on my uninjured foot.

Ben quickly placed an arm around my waist once more and I placed an arm around his shoulder.

"What's going on, Ben?" I asked as I started to limp towards the clinic exit.

"Thank you, nurse," Ben said, pretending not to hear my question.

I patiently allowed him to assist me out of the clinic and then once outside I stopped and turned to him.

"Ben, what are you  not telling me?"