Chapter 21

Cassy told me this next part, but I don't think Blair knows that I know about it.
When Blair woke up, it was in the middle of the night. Cassy was fast asleep beside her. Blair sat up and groaned to herself. She felt like she got hit by a bus. She rubbed her eyes, stretched, and yawned. While she yawned, a loud whine came out with it. She stopped immediately in confusion. She didn't understand why she sounded like a dog. She shrugged it off and slid out of bed. She made her way to the bathroom, flipped on the light, and went to the sink. When she saw herself in the mirror, she had to do a double take. Almost immediately, she started panicking. She quickly backed away from the sink and knocked into the shelf behind her. Something glass fell and shattered beside her. She shrieked, but it came out more as a yap, which only freaked her out more. She ran back from the glass until her back hit the wall and she slid down it. Her breathing picked up by the second as she saw the light brown tail beside her. She reached her hands up to her head to see if what she saw in the mirror was real. She couldn't feel her human ears on the side of her head, because instead, she went up further and felt the soft brown coyote ears on top of her head. Her fast breathing turned into whimpering and she wanted to scream. Luckily, Cassy woke up from the glass shattering and saw Blair had left the bed. She rushed into the bathroom and ran to her lover on the floor. She hugged her immediately. "Its ok. Just breathe. Its alright." She cooed. Blair latched onto her like her life depended on it. Cassy just slowly ran her hand up and down Blairs back.

Cassy carried Blair back to the bed. After she calmed down, Cassy finally talked to her. "Do you know what happened? Do you need me to explain it?" She asked. "No. I can put the pieces together. Dusk... turned me into a..." Blair looked at her tail, not exactly sure what she was. "A coyote." Cassy told her. Blair sighed and looked down. Cassy didn't know what to do or say. "Do you need something Blair?" She asked. "No" Blair shook her head. Cassy just sat there awkwardly, waiting for Blair to do something. "Go back to bed Cassy. I just... I need to process." Blair said. Cassy didn't want to leave her. "Alright. But if you need me, don't hesitate to wake me up, ok?" She said. Blair nodded. Cassy was still unsure, but did what Blair wanted. She went back to bed. Blair laid awake, thinking. I'm not sure what all she was thinking about. I can only make guesses about the things Cassy hasn't already told me.

Cassy talked to me the next morning before I went to work. Blair was asleep again. "You need to help me. She woke up and she had a panic attack. Now she wont talk to me and doesn't want anything to do with anything!" She said. She was panicking and I was too depressed to help her. "First, calm down. Second, get your white butt back in that room. Maybe bring her some coffee. She always likes that. Look Cass, everyone's mutation is a different experience, and I cant predict how Blairs will go. I'm sorry I cant be more help, but I'm not exactly in my right mind either. I need a break too." I told her. She sighed. "I know. I'm sorry. I'm just worried." She said. "I get it, but I gotta get to work. Ill see you later." I said, and left.

Cassy brought Blair coffee but when she woke up, she didn't drink it. She couldn't even look at Cassy. "Blair? Do you need anything?" She asked. Blair curled into a ball and didn't respond. Cassy just sat beside her in bed and stared longingly. She wanted to help her, but couldn't even imagine what to do. "Go to work Cassy." Blair groaned. "I don't wanna leave you." Cassy said softly. "Go Cassy. You cant stay here because of me. Just leave." Blair said. Cassy didn't want to go. Everything in her body told her not too, but she had always respected Blairs wishes in the past she wasnt going to stop now. "Fine. Ill see you tonight." She said, and left for work.

For the next week and a half, Blair made no movements. She got up to use the bathroom, or sat up in bed so she could eat. She refused to eat in front of Cassy and she still didn't talk to her. I was worried about her, but I was actually more worried about Cassy. I had seen her have her little freak out a few months before, but this was no where close to that. This was awful. She looked like she was gonna cry all the time. And it was all because of Blair! I've never seen someone self-destruct as much she did in that time. I couldn't even offer a helping hand because I too, was self-destructing. So I just let it go on, and hoped that maybe Blair would open her eyes and see the affect her mood was having on her lover. She never saw it though. She had something way bigger on her mind, and it was keeping her from talking to the love of her life.