Chapter 16

I stay silent for a quick second as I finally wrap my head around the fact that he just said my first name, my first name.

Not once, but twice.

Surprise by this, I know employees call each other by their first names, but–I never had that. None of my employees call me by my first name, except for Ruby, not other than her, every single one of my employees call me, "Ma'am" or "Ms. Cantrell"

Don't get me wrong, I love it. It shows that people fear me and are scared to screw up in my presence, I love that I have that power over people but at the same time–

It's sad, in the back of my mind, I view myself as someone that can't have a meaningful conversation with someone without them thinking about how they are going to get fired for making one false move around me.

Maybe I should ease up on people–Nope, absolutely not, I can't take offense to what everyone is thinking or saying about me behind my back.

All my employees know what they're getting into when they apply to work for me, and if they don't like it, they can leave and a replacement will come and take their place.

It's their choice to stay.

Still surprised, I sat up in bed, rubbing my eyes. I answered him back, not wanting to be very loud, "Yes?" I whispered.

But I guess Liam had a different reaction, instead of being quiet and acting like a mature person. He springs up from the bed, making me and the whole bed bounce hard in the progress.

He stands still for a few seconds, in the darkness of the room, I could see his silhouette, rocking back and forward as he tries to adjust his body to catch up with his brain.

I just know he's malfunctioning right now, hell, I think anyone would if they were asleep and you suddenly get to moving without the brain taking time to process what you're doing.

As I was still looking at him, well barely, I heard him breathe in as he began to apologize, "I'm so sorry, Ms. Cantrell! I didn't mean to-to fall asleep on the bed, I-I was just really tired and I didn't realize that I was on the bed–"

He suddenly stops as his body turns towards the door that leads to the living room, he quickly turns back as he reaches for his phone on the nightstand.

"I'll move the couch, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to–"

"Chopard" I said as I cut him off. I rub my eyes and my forehead, he really is giving me a headache with all the talking, I refuse to look at the clock to see what time it is. If I basically need to pull an all-nighter, then I will.

I'm so tired. Like down in the barrel tired.

I don't want to argue or fight with him about the sleeping arrangement. It's just not worth it, plus it won't be beneficial to the both of us.

But at the same time, I don't want him to leave, I don't know why, it just felt nice to sleep next to him on the bed.

Like a comforting feeling, something that made me feel safe in a unique kind of way.

I guess Chopard didn't want to hear what I had to say when I cut him off, because he quickly turned around as he headed for the door. He manages to open it as the light in the living room lit up his face.

He takes one step out as my body forces me to stand up from the bed, calling out his name in a last desperate attempt to gain his attention.

"Chopard" I say, his last name slipping out of mouth, louder than I intended it to be.

The next door neighbors would be mad because of all the noise that we're making, but unfortunately for them, I don't give a shit.

He turns around, facing towards me and waiting for me to say whatever I needed to say. My brain fogs up as I try to come up with anything to fill the void in the air of silence.