Chapter 1

Kayla's POV

I sat in the principal's office, my mind adrift in a sea of thoughts. The principal's voice was a distant murmur, her words blurring into an unintelligible drone. The room was imposing, with dark wood paneling and a large mahogany desk that seemed to swallow up the space. Framed certificates and accolades adorned the walls, each one a testament to the school's prestigious reputation.

"Kayla... Kayla..." Her voice sharpened, pulling me back to reality.

"Uh, yes, sorry. I was listening," I stammered, trying to piece together what she had been saying. "You were talking about a new student, and that I'll be their guide?"

"Good. And one more thing," she continued, her eyes narrowing behind her sleek, wire-framed glasses, "there are rumors going around. Rumors say that Tristan has been spending nights in your room."

"Aunt Melanie, I don't know what you're talking about," I lied, biting my lower lip. The room suddenly felt even more oppressive, the air heavy with the weight of unspoken truths.

"Don't play dumb, Kayla. You know the rules. You can’t just break them because the school's principal is your aunt. I think I'm going too soft on you," she said sternly, her voice echoing off the polished wooden walls.

"I'm not the only one who does that," I muttered under my breath, feeling a flush creep up my neck.

"Regardless, I don't want to start arguing this early in the morning. Go to my P.A. and get the new student for a tour around the school."

I dragged myself out of her office, feeling the weight of her disapproval. Melanie Sergal, my aunt, and the formidable principal of Astra High—a prestigious boarding school for the elite's spoiled offspring. I approached her P.A., Ms. Jade, with a forced smile.

"Hi Ms. Jade. Where's the student I'm supposed to show around?" I asked, trying to sound enthusiastic.

Ms. Jade looked up from her computer screen, her eyes twinkling with amusement. She was a petite woman with a sharp bob and an impeccable sense of style. "He's standing right behind you," she teased, lifting an eyebrow.

I turned and my eyes met the new student’s. He was strikingly handsome, with grey eyes and a confident stance. His dark hair was tousled in a way that seemed both effortless and meticulously styled. I fumbled to say hello but ended up mumbling incoherently. He smiled, revealing perfect, pearly white teeth.

"Kayla," Ms. Jade's voice broke through my thoughts. "You two should get going before your aunt finds you standing here."

"Yeah," I nodded, snapping out of it. "Follow me."

We walked down the hallways in silence, the sound of our footsteps echoing off the marble floors. The school was a sprawling labyrinth of corridors and classrooms, each one more grandiose than the last. I was acutely aware of his presence beside me, and my mind raced to think of something to say.

"So," he cleared his throat, catching my attention. "My guide won't talk to me?"

I blushed slightly. "I'm Kayla," I said, finally breaking the silence.

"Nathan Anderson. You can call me Nate," he replied with a friendly smile. "And, I take it the principal is your aunt?"

I laughed nervously. "Yeah, she is. And sorry, I'm not very good at this."

"No worries. The cafeteria is near, right?" he asked.

"Yes, I'll take you there," I said, relieved to have a direction.

I showed him around the school until the second break. We visited the gym, the library with its towering shelves of books, and the serene courtyard where students lounged on wrought-iron benches. By then, he seemed comfortable enough to find his way on his own. I headed to my next class, math, which I had already missed half of. My best friends, Tristan and Grace, had saved me a spot.