4. The beginning of the end

A week had passed since that day and the Prince was waiting for Aiden at the castle gates with his sword in hand. It was time to leave yet Aiden was nowhere to be seen. The butlers and guards all looked around the castle but they couldn't find him, and the king was getting more and more frustrated. Eventually, after about 15 minutes, Aiden arrived, carrying a backpack and a cane on his back.

"Finally, you've arrived." The king said with an annoyed tone while the prince only stared without saying a word.

"What, got a problem? I would've never come if we were going anywhere else." Aiden spat back while crossing his arms.

"I swear, I can't wait for you to leave." The king muttered.

"Well fuck you too!" Aiden said, now angry.

"Shut your mouth!" The king yelled. "You better clean up that rotten mouth of yours before I sew it shut!"

Aiden clicked his tongue and rolled his eyes. He turned his back to him and started walking away. The prince could see the frustration on the king's face. Though he hadn't been long here in this kingdom, the king meant everything to him and he would do anything for him. Aiden didn't matter to him much, he was only a prince, what could he do? 

The prince bowed down to the king and told him that he will now be leaving as well. The king nodded and told him the directions that would guide them to the mountain. The prince thanked him and began walking away a bit quickly to try and catch up with Aiden.

"Your majesty, may I ask a question?" The prince asked Aiden.

"Ugh, what?" The other said annoyed.

"I hope I'm not asking much but, why are you always so angry with the king?"

"Because he's an annoying old fart who I couldn't give two shits about! I mean honestly, he treats me like garbage all my life and now he expects me to listen to him?!" Aiden responded, frustrated it seemed. Although the prince couldn't really comprehend what was happening, he tried his best to calm him down.

"I, uhm, I'm sure he loves you, your majesty." The prince said as he subconsciously placed his hand on Aiden's right shoulder. As soon as he realized what he did, he immediately pulled his hand away, fearful that he accidentally hurt the other. Yet, Aiden only looked at him with a confused look. He didn't react at all, and when the prince looked at his shoulder, he saw he wasn't actually burned at all. Not his clothes, his skin, nothing.

"What's your problem? Scared of touching me of something?" Aiden said with a frown.

"No, your majesty. Though, it was impolite of me to do so. I was scared I had accidentally hurt you."

"Hah?? What do you mean?"

"Well, because of the crystal inside of me, whatever I touch gets burned to ashes. Look behind me, every step I took left a dark spot of burnt grass.

"Huh, fascinating... I wonder what else that crystal could do..." Aiden said as he began to think about who knows what. "My guess is that it was because of the tiny fragment of crystal that I have as well. See? It's right in the center of the flower here and it's very close to my shoulder. The area around it is freezing so maybe, when you touched it, seeing as how your hand is burning hot and my shoulder is freezing cold, maybe they cancel each other out?"

"Wow, I would have never thought about that. You really are smart." The prince praised.

"It's really not that outstanding, it's simple logic. Something your brain probably can't comprehend, if you even have one." Aiden said with a smirk on his face. The prince wasn't fazed by his snarky remarks, since the king warned him of this type of behavior, but still, he found it a bit annoying. They continued walking towards the mountain for a while until it started getting dark.