Chapter Eleven: Finals, Summer Break Plans and a New Candidate

A day after learning a way to make Tartarus disappear, Akihiko entered the back alley, finding Shinjiro, sitting on a steel drum.

Akihiko: Nothing to do as usual, huh?

Shinjiro: Hm...? Hmph... Why're you here? If you came here to try and convince me, then forget it.

Akihiko: ...It's nothing like that. I just wanted to see how you were doing.

Shinjiro: Huh?

He said in confusion as Akihiko sat down on the small steps next to where he was sitting.

Akihiko: We've known each other for a long time... It's been almost 14 years since we met at the orphanage... You, me, and Miki... We used to run around here until the sun went down. Back then, it seemed like we had all the time in the world.

Shinjiro: Heh… You haven’t changed one bit. 

Akihiko: ? 

Shinjiro: If you wanna get all sappy, go do it with your other friends. 

Akihiko: …What was that!? 

Shinjiro: It’s rare for you to think about the past. Usually, you just charge ahead like a damn fool. So obviously, there’s something on your mind. 

Akihiko: …. I do reminisce sometimes… But, what’s the point? …Anyway, we finally know how to get rid of Tartarus and the Dark Hour. 

Shinjiro: No shit? 

Akihiko: To be honest, all I’ve been thinking about lately is getting stronger. But yesterday, someone made me question my reason for fighting… 

Shinjiro: Your reason for fighting, huh… That’s different for every person. But, if you don’t have a good one, you can always quit… like I did. 

Akihiko: …I’m not like you. …Man, I can’t believe I’m the one getting lectured here. 

Shinjiro: …. 

Akihiko: Well, see ye around. 

Shinjiro: Tch… You haven’t changed at all… 

He mumbled as he looked down at the ground while Akihiko left the back alley. And while that happened, back in the dorms, Fuuka was inside her room getting ready as Mitsuru knocked on her door. 

Mitsuru: …Can I talk to you for a moment? 

Fuuka: Senpai… …Oh, please come in. 

She said allowing Mitsuru in, as the senior sat down on her bed as Fuuka sat down next to the small table. 

Mitsuru: Not only do you excel at providing support during battle, but also at obtaining information. 

Fuuka: Oh, I-I’m sorry for doing that without permission… 

Mitsuru: Don’t worry, you’re not in trouble. But, I do have two special favors to ask of you. 

Fuuka: ?

Mitsuru: First, I want you to find out as much as you can about that incident ten years ago. 

Fuuka: But, very little was made public… 

Mitsuru: That’s why I want you to access the Kirijo Group’s database. 

Fuuka: You mean, hack into their system? That’s illegal. 

Mitsuru: I’ll give you my ID and password. You’ll be free from accountability. I want to know the truth, in detail. Secondly, there’s something mysterious about Masato and his reason for being here. I want you to look into any phone calls that are recent and old.