13 THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM

RIANNA was sipping four seasons while taking a break.

Kahapon ay maghapon siyang nasa harap ng kamera bilang emcee ng Beach Babe, a bikini contest. Today was another show, a celebrity challenge. Buong araw rin siyang nasa harapan ng kamera. Right now though, si Mark ang nakasalang sa kamera.

The Silver Gin Bottoms Up Festival was the biggest event in Boracay this year. This was the first Silver Gin Fest kaya all-out ang budget ng Silverio Holdings, ang may-ari ng Silver Gin. Three major TV networks were covering the festival, and the sponsors were nothing short of the biggest brands in the business.

Rianna was very tired. Reporters were all over her the whole day asking her about her bodyguard.

Apparently, the press had come up with a love triangle story about her, Dax and Gutsy. Sila ni Dax ngayon ang hottest couple na pinag-uusapan ng publiko.

The Heiress and Her Gallant Bodyguard: a blossoming love story, sabi ng headline ng isang glossy showbiz magazine na lumabas sa stands last week.

A panicking Jaz had bought it and had her read it. Naroon ang mga pictures nila ni Dax mula sa bar ni Gutsy, pati pagpasok nila sa firing range at noong palabas sila ng lobby ng The Pointe. It was complete with a speculative article, about how they met and how their relationship developed.

Bilib naman siya sa press sa pagtahi-tahi ng istorya na base lang sa mga haka-haka. Basta lang kumita ng pera, kung anu-ano na ang isinusulat. Mabuti pa ang mga ito, positive ang tingin sa relasyon nila ni Dax. Kung alam lang ng mga ito ang tunay na score between her and her bodyguard, they'd be sorely disappointed. Pero lalo namang lumala ang mga tsismis dahil magkasama sila ngayon ni Dax dito sa Boracay. Lalo at narito rin si Gutsy.

Gutsy had been charming to the reporters, actually dropping hints that they were making sweet music together. Lihim naman siyang naiinis sa ginagawa ng lalaki.

Alam niyang takot ang mga reporters na lumapit kay Dax. Mukha kasing mang-uumbag ang hitsura nito, laging nakasimangot, kaya siya na lang ang binubwisit ng mga ito. Pagod na pagod na siya sa kasasabi ng 'no comment'.

Her eyes scanned the people around her. Her make-up artist and stylist were waiting for her to finish her drink, so they could do a retouch on her face and hair. The director was busy briefing the celebrities involved in the show. The celebrity challenge was a take-off from the hit reality show, The Amazing Race.

Natagpuan ng mga mata niya si Dax sa di-kalayuan, nakasandal sa isang puno ng niyog, matamang nakamasid sa kanya. He was in a plain white shirt, khaki capri pants, dark shades and beach slippers. He looked like a fitness model, but he lacked the flashy air of a celebrity. Ganunpaman, hindi iyon nakabawas sa sex appeal nito. Lalo pa yatang nadagdagan ang appeal nito dahil sa mysterious aura nito.

Nilapitan nga siya ng isang talent scout kanina at nagtanong tungkol kay Dax. The woman was looking for the next endorser of a popular men's jeans at interesado itong kunin si Dax bilang model. Sinabi niyang si Dax na lang ang tanungin nito.

The woman told her later that she was turned down flat by Dax. She knew it. For all his boldness, he would never want to be out in the open for the public to scrutinize. He would always prefer to be mysterious.

It was their second night in Boracay and he had kept his distance from her while she worked. They had scarcely exchanged words with each other, but she was somehow comforted by the fact that he was just around, watching her discreetly.

"Rye, we'll resume in fifteen!" sigaw ng director sa kanya.

She quickly finished her drink.