A chance encounter

For the last 9 years, all of Cheesebridge had heard the tragic story of the Trubshaw baby. About a baby who was stolen and eaten by boxtrolls, monsters that lived underground and only came out at night. But, despite everyone's beliefs, they were the exact opposite.
    One night, while they were collecting hidden treasures, the redhat's vehicle zoomed past. All the boxtrolls quickly hid in their boxes but Fish: one of the many boxtrolls, saw a small creature in the road, right in the way of the coming vehicle.

WELP!!!!

"What was that?" Mr. Trout: one of the redhats asked.

"It sounded like an animal" Mr. Pickles: a fellow redhat added.

"Leave it. It was probably some stray" Snatcher told them before they drove away.

Once the redhats was no longer in sight, Fish, Shoe, and a few other boxtrolls immediately came out of their boxes and went to the injured creature. Laying on its side on the cobblestone street was a brown and black wolf. It had a few cuts on its body, mostly on it's legs. But there some that was a few scars that was healed but lacked any fur. One area being on the side of it's face. Fish felt his little heart ache as the poor wolf whimpered in pain. So, without thinking twice, he carefully picked up the wolf and traveled back underground.

🧀🐺🧀

The next morning, Fish walked to where he had placed the injured wolf. Sure, was it risky bringing a wolf into their home, but it was worth helping a animal in need. But what he saw, made him yell out. Which was followed by a another scream. But this one was obviously a girl.

"Fish! Are you okay-" a boy who wore a box that said "Eggs" asked, immediately running in to the small mossy nook only to stop.

Now pressed against the cave wall was a girl around his age with crazy brown hair with black tips. Bandages wrapped around her arms, chest, and legs. A pair of goggles rested on her head. Her brown eyes was filled with fear.

"Were am I?!" She asked before a animal-ish growl came from her throat.

Her eyes turned into the ones of a wolf as the growl became more menacing. The boy took a step forward.

"It's okay. We're not going to hurt you" he told her, holding his hands out to show that he meant no harm.

She slowly started to calm down before seeing the bandages on her body. She looked at her gloved hands and took a deep breath.

"What happened? All I can remember is seeing a bright light" the girl said.

Fish then spoke, coming out as gibberish to her ears.

"Uh..."

"Oh! Right! Sorry! He said that you were hit by the redhat's vehicle last night and he brought you down here" the boy explained.

The girl slowly nodded before she slowly sat down on the mossy floor. She felt tired. Her limbs ached and her stomach was empty. The boy soon joined her.

"What are you?" He asked.

"I'm a werewolf/ human hybrid. But I always personally preferred the term "Wolf shifter" she replied.

He nodded, confused about what a werewolf was but he went along with it. The girl raised an eyebrow.

"Why aren't you freaking out?" She asked.

"Are you expecting me to?"

She gave a slight nod before saying "everyone else does at first."

He shrugged.

"I'm not like everyone else" he replied.

A small smile crossed her lips. Thankful that somebody didn't immediately assume that she was a danger.

"I'm Ellie, by the way."

"Eggs, the boxtroll."