Act Three - Under A Tree

She sat under a tree as the sun reached its high point, the day was pleasant and the sounds were divine. She closed her eyes and took it in, seeing the world brighter through a heightened eye. The grass beds flowed and swirled and fluttered like a pond under storm and a race of fishes swishing around in harmonious chaos. Above it she sensed a most elegant of dances performed by a million tiny wings, buzzing around drawing geometry all around. Above them, the birds who swept and dove, disrupting the harmony of shapes and swirls.

A bird came down to perch on a low hanging branch on the tree that shaded her from the sun. She both saw the bird and saw herself through the bird's eye, then swooping down as the bird onto her human shoulder.

It landed and all went black.

She felt herself surrounded by warmth, slowly trickling at her skin. She opened her eyes and saw void all around her, enveloping her as far as she could see all around. She felt herself descend until her toe landed, on a curious absence of anything, rippling as a cold feeling covered her entire foot. As her second foot landed shortly after, it sent out another ripple. Every step she took sent out a ripple that went on and spread as far as she could see.

She walked at first and tried running, but quickly turned to dancing and skipping. At the edge of her vision the ripples turned vertical and grew, slowly, one after the other all around her in a dance of waves.

It gave the space around her form and being, rhythmic and pulsing.

"Who are you, who dances so vividly inside me?" the space inquired, awoken by the ripples.

"I don't know, I am dreaming under a tree." she replied.

She performed a ballet around the the emptiness and liquid feeling nothingness that had become her invisible dance floor and rippled chaos ensued across the entire space around her.

"Who are you, to cause such turmoil inside me?" The space demanded in echoed murmurs.

"I don't know, I am simply doing." She replied.

The dancing stopped as the ripples engulfed everything and shook all sense of ground away from under her.

She fell softly and slowly, and as she looked down to see where he was falling, she could see the converging of all ripples towards her.

"Who am I, who treads so softly?" The space asked.

"I must know, it is me." She replied.

The warmth returned from within her this time and a flutter of wings rang past her cheek. The bird had flown from her shoulder and she opened her own eyes as if for the first time, to the waves around her. She got up and for the first time ever danced with a grace, moving as if she was one with the flow of the universe itself.

A bird flew down to where she had sat and closed its eyes.

"We'll meet once more you and I, in another dream under a tree."