CHAPTER 1: First Day

• Dedicated to my dad

°•°•°

CHAPTER 1: First Day

"Babe! Lyss!" I looked at the guy and it was clearly Justin, Lyss's boyfriend. "He's calling you" Lyss looked at me with one eyebrow up. "How does he know I'm here?" I rolled my eyes until she could finally get it.

"Oooh, okay" She giggled. She passed through the aisle. "Hi, Aly" Lyss turned her head and saw Mitch. "Hey, Mitch. But it's Lyss" Mitch looks uncertain. "Lyss?" she asked. Lyss nodded. "Nah, how 'bout Candace? Or Eleanor? Or Alyssa?"

Couldn't she take a hint? Lyss prefers "LYSS" cause that's Dad's nickname for her since she was a little girl. I passed through,

"Just call her Lyss, okay? She likes it that way" I explained.

"Okay" Mitch then agreed.

"Yo, Sid" I looked their way and Justin called me. "Over here!" Lyss smiled at me and gestured me to come sit with them.

I went near them when I saw Riley, Justin's younger brother. I've always ignored him, his actions, basically anything that has to do with him. I loathed him. I just thought there is no possibility that he could be my friend and neither could I be his. Wait a minute, I used to dream of him getting hit by a cab or something. I don't know why I should. We haven't dated, nor have we ever talked about anything that would involve intimacy. Some people, who are probably mentally ill, would think we both like each other even though we don't consider having each other in each other's lives. People would tease us and would sometimes say that both of us might end up together. Yes, there are times when both of us are picked to be partners but normally, we talk to each other regarding the project or the paper and nothing else. After the period, we go separate ways. We're merely just classmates, not more, not less, just that.

"Ohmygod!" Mitch shouted.

"What happened?" Tri asked.

"Sid and Riley are going to be sitting together!" And yes, she was one of those people.

"Shut up, Mitch!" Lyss exclaimed. I came near Lyss.

"Thank you" I whispered. "I'll just sit at the back, okay? I prefer not to be rumored once more."

Lyss looks glum, "Okay, but are you sure you'll be fine?" she asked. I gave her a nod.

We went down the bus when my Biology teacher showed up. "Guess you're up for another year of winning the Science Fair, Sydra. I'm so thankful you're back."

I looked hesitant. "Uh, Ms. Hue, I'm not joining this year. I'm sorry..." She looked disappointed.

Well, knowing that I'm pretty much the only one who cares enough to listen to her when she's discussing in class, made me learn more stuff than my classmates ever did. She counted on me to join and contribute ideas for Science Fairs, and to submit projects for our school's display.

Everyone may count me as a nerd but what the heck, maybe I'd be famous and rich one day.

"--But my sister's joining!" She looked more disappointed.

"Alyssa is never interested in Science" she looked at her feet like a preschooler that had to go through a punishment for fighting a classmate. Like not getting candy for a whole week kind of punishment.

"No. Tri's joining" she looked at me "Your youngest sister? Still, Sydra, she won't win '1st-place' ribbons like you always do."

I gotta admit, that sure did lighten me up. "Wait a minute, are we allowed to help those who are joining the competition?" Her eyes were as if they were surprised. "If you're not in the competition and your means are to let your competitor win, then yes!" An eyebrow raised. My eyebrow raised. "Then don't worry, Miss Hue. I'd help Tri. I promise" Miss Hue hugged me then walked away.