Chapter 1: Meeting By Fate

It was a regular day so far, nothing out of the ordinary, nothing special, it was just normal. I was going about my daily routine when all of a sudden there was a knock on the front door of my house.

"Excuse me, is this the home of the wizard that can speak with animals," a deep, muffled voice asked from behind the heavy oak door.

It was on rare occasions that I would receive any guests seeing as though I live deep within the forest. Most people believe that around this area is abandoned. Cautiously I walked over to my door and opened it just enough to take a peek of who was there. Right outside stood a young man, probably around the same age as me. He had pink hair and a small blue cat wrapped in his arms.

Seeing that the cat was probably unwell, I opened the door wider. I was never one to turn down an animal in need. "How can I be of service," I asked smiling.

With sad eyes, he replied pleading, "It's my cat, Happy. I think he is sick or something. He limps when he walks and won't eat a thing. Not even his favorite food, fish. Do you think you can help him?"

My smile dropped as I moved aside, granting this stranger entry into my home. "Put him on the table so that I can examine him. I'm not sure if I can help, but I'll do what I can."

The man didn't hesitate and walked right inside. He must be really worried about his cat if he'd travel this far to help him. Hopefully I won't disappoint him.

I tied back my long, blonde hair into a ponytail and examined the cat. "Hey there little guy. Are you okay? You know, you can tell me whatever it is that's bothering you. So tell me, why won't you eat? I know your owner didn't name you Happy for you to be so sad."

"My paw has some briers stuck in it," his small voice cried as Happy raises his front left paw. I saw three briers in it. I told him I had just the thing to help then proceeded to look around the room. I walked over to my vanity table and dug around in the drawer to get a pair of tweezers. I came back to the table and "Pinky" was watching me curiously. I lifted Happy's paw and pulled out the briers and gave them to the man.

"That's what was wrong with him. You should really watch where he plays to prevent this from happening again," I said sounding accomplished.

As if to prove he's feeling better and to say thank you Happy jumped right off the table and started to purr and rub against me.

"Thank you," Happy and the man said in union. I giggled. The pink haired guy scooped up Happy in his arms. He was so happy that his best friend was feeling better again. "I know this might be coming a little late but, what's your name," he asked.

"Lucy, Lucy Heartfilia," I answered him smiling.

"Why do I feel like I've heard that name before," the man pondered for a moment and I got anxious. I was afraid that he was going to bring up my past. It seems that after a while he gave up. "Oh well, it's nice to meet you Lucy. I'm Natsu Dragneel," he said with a blinding smile.

I started to blush and turned around so he wouldn't notice. I'm not used to people smiling at me like that. Actually, I'm not used to people smiling at me at all. Usually I'm surrounded by animals only.

After a few moments of silence, Natsu began to speak again. "I'm a wizard too, you know."

This peeked my interest. "Really, what magic do you do," I asked trying to hide my excitement. The only other wizard I knew was my mother. Her magic was beautiful, but I was always excite to learn about others' powers as well.

"I'm a Salamader, I do fire magic," he said as he gave me a preview of his magic by making a fire snake coil around his body. I was beyond impressed, his level of magic was far above my own.

"That was so cool. All I can do is talk to animals," I tell him, embarrassed. "I really want to become a celestial wizard though. It's always been my dream to learn celestial magic."

"That's so lame," Natsu started to laugh. "You can't even fight with that magic. You use spirits to fight your battles for you. It's pathetic."

My eyebrows started to twitch and I cross my arms over my chest. Why do people always say that? It's not like they'll ever fully understand it. "Whatever, you just don't get it, Dragon Breath."

Natsu laughs again and says, "You remind me of someone when you say that. Anyways I've got to go thanks, Lucy. I owe you one." He patted me on my back and I turned around as he opened front door. He turned and gave my one last giant grin and waved goodbye before shutting my door. Then he was gone.