Prologue

The light breeze whisked the last of the ashes as tears carved a path down her cheeks

The light breeze whisked the last of the ashes as tears carved a path down her cheeks. Truly alone, she thought.

She was the last of the original clutch to still be on-planet. The only one to stay and care for her.

Elyra sobbed, battling a swell of grief that threatened to overwhelm her. She wiped her nose with her sleeve, coming away wet. She grinned between sobs as she saw the ashes climb higher. Mother would have loved to fly, she mused.

It had taken hours to climb the spire to the highest point in Zenithar, but it was worth it—a fitting send-off for the one who meant everything to her. She trembled as the wind picked up, and with it came a biting cold.

Zors, her Legacite, adjusted her body temperature and sent a feeling of warmth.

Beneath her, the vast city sprawled, its streets winding like arteries, pulsing with the essential lifeblood of its inhabitants.

"Lyra, child. Stop taking risks in that city!" She heard the admonition as clearly as if Mother was next to her. It was only a little risk, Mom, she answered shyly.

"Goodbye, Mom. I'll be fine, and I'll take care of the twins and Rysha. Don't worry. You rest!" she whispered. The last of the once vast group. A couple more cycles, and they'll be off-planet, too.

Sylios was setting on the horizon, elongating the shadows of the spire below.

She turned to leave. Unconsciously, her hand went to the pouch on her hip and touched the blue memory stone—the one that commemorated her finding day. Its triangular shape easily differentiated it from the rest. Then, she looked back at the small ascending cloud of ashes. "I love you, Mom!"

The wailing of a child had drawn her here, yet now there was silence

The wailing of a child had drawn her here, yet now there was silence. Did I imagine it?

She scanned the battlefield remains, but there was no movement save for the shadowy gleaners pecking at the corpses. She stealthily moved to a rock outcrop, trying to get a better vantage point. Just because the fighting had stopped didn't mean it was safe.