Chapter 7: Flashbacks

Chione's PoV

"This necklace suits you so much Lady Chione."

"And these earrings have the very same color as your eyes."

I nibbled on my lower lip which was beautified by a pink strawberry-flavored gloss. The maids that were serving me were talking about nonsensical things.

They were the exact same maids who looked at me with disgust and now their mouths were spilling honey.

If I were the old Chione, I would have enjoyed all of this. The nail painting, the massage, the compliments...

All the shitty kinds of stuff.

They don't give me that too often so whenever it came to this, I indulged myself in every bit of it.

Apparently, I just want to end all of this, close my eyes, and let myself fall into the abyss called 'sleep'

Did I really use to believe such blatant lies?

The hatred beneath shining eyes, and the effortlessly friendly voices.

Oh well...

A duchy's maid should learn as much. To be plastic with elegance and class.

Now, I just want to shut myself inside a dark room and so are my words and existence.

Another thing, I have found myself mulling over the existence of Zephyr much more than I thought ever since I knew that I was still invited to the ball of my best friend's birthday. He will be there for sure.

I can't help but sigh.

"D-did we do something to annoy you?"

I just stared at the maid for a long time before sighing once more.

They looked at each other, while I continued thinking.

They're annoying me and my mind is my only escape.

Now back to Reolys...

I know that he can't remember me, or that he won't.

My heart feels as if it's being torn bit by bit whenever I remember those memories, and when I'm left alone, my eyes just water themselves.

So the people with me somehow helped me even when they were like flies.

Those moments, they seem to me like it was only a fact to me.

All of it ended in vain, our fairytale was sweet but turned out to be bitter. Still, thinking that someone finally saw me as I am and that he loved me for that makes my heart flutter.

Numerous enough to make me momentarily forget the pain 'loving' him cost me.

I looked at the mannequin beside my grooming table.

The purple dress I am about to wear was designed to compliment my eyes and hair. It was the color of royal violet decorated with gold-lace linings. The bottom is also laced.

My mother said it was a gift from Zeta.

As if I hadn't known better, it was to pair me up with her brother.

The thing is, we played the role well.

We danced one dance in a formal manner, and nothing happened after that, like him, I found the party boring and so I left the place.

The memory was still very vivid as it was from a life that just passed.

Flashback, 15th life, 3 weeks after waking up.