Ch. 1

Levi Rivaille Ackerman, is my full name. I was diagnosed with cancer when I was six years, I had blood cancer also known as Leukemia.

My parents were extremely busy with work, I guess they never caught me puking blood in the bathroom for two months. I never told them I was coughing blood or throwing it up, until one day at the dinner table.

It was one of the special days when mommy and daddy would actually be home for dinner. Where my body somehow decided it was okay to puke on the table, my dad got pissed and beat the shit out of me.

That was when they started noticing me more, noticing I was waking up at night throwing up. My mom was the nice one, getting up at night just to rub my back. Eventually, mom got worried that I was losing to much blood. I ended up in the hospital that night, with needles and tests.

I clinged to my mom as needles were put in my arms, I was six don't judge. I stayed in the hospital that night and was officially diagnosed with leukemia. My mom cried but I didn't know what this disease was, I was confused.

But my mom paid a lot for an experimental drug to cure cancer, after a year I was cured. People called it a miracle, I was a miracle child, though we did get hate letters saying "Why wasn't it my child or some family member?". My mom was happy I was alive, she left my father and stood up for me.

But that happened ten years ago, I'm currently seventeen and been diagnosed once again.

So much for experimental drugs, I stay at the hospital now. I have a room to myself, it's not a normal hospital room. It's like a bedroom actually, it's got to choose the color to paint on the walls and got to decorate the room.

So the room is my room, I have a couple friends. Petra: at the hospital because of selfharm/anorexic. Hanji: breast cancer. Erwin: Arrhythmia heart disease.

Hanji and Petra share a room, Erwin would have shared a room with me but the doctor wouldn't allow it for some reason. I was kind of glad I got a room to myself, I was alone with only my thoughts.

No one bothered me besides the nurse every once in awhile, well actually seven times a day but I didn't notice much. I spent most of my time in my room while Petra, Erwin, and Hanji would mess around in the hospital.

Hanji would quickly run out of breath and carried around a bag with a can of oxygen in it, for some unknown reason the cancer weighs down Hanji's lungs. It was one of those days today where you'd hear the doctors yelling at them to slow down and take an easy.

I could hear Hanji laugh over the music I was playing in my room, looking out the window I hear the door open and shut. "Those kids." The voice sighs.

I continue to look at the contents outside of the hospital, "Here." I turn my head looking. "Well, isn't it Mike Zacharius." I say. Mike is one of my allies, you could say.

I trust him but not enough to quite call him a friend. He hands me pills and water, I hold the pills in my hand and the water in my other.

Sighing, I quickly toss the pills in my mouth and drink water. Once the pills get down, Mike walks over to my stereo and turns down my music.

"You know-" Mike starts. "I know that if it gets any worse I'll have to switch to IVs." I cut him off. "You've told me." I cross my legs, sitting on the hospital bed.

Mike leans against the large dresser, crossing he's arms over his chest. "I'm only telling you the truth. Levi, you're getting sicker everyday." Mike looks down closing his eyes.

"Don't you think I would know. I'm the sick one here." I say, I don't raise my voice. I try to stay calm and keep it together.

Hanji bust open the door laughing, "Levi, come on." I hardly mess around with Hanji but I get up and run to the door. I'm just avoiding the conversation between Mike and I.

Hanji laughs running to Erwin and Petra at the end of the hallway, I slowly walk towards them. "I'm surprised that worked." Petra smiles, I scoff.

"I just came to stop talking to Mike." I say quietly. Hanji's face becomes red, "Hanji! You okay? Oh my god!" Petra grabs Hanji. Hanji pushes her off telling her she's fine. "You said Mike?" Hanji asks, I nod.

"He's cute.." she says quietly. Petra laughs and Erwin smiles, I put my hands in my pockets. Hanji swings her bag on her back, "We going?" Erwin nods and they start walking deeper in the hospital.

I stand still, looking back at my room I hear Erwin ask me if I'm coming. "Yeah.." I say and jog to the group. I walk behind them all as they talk and laugh, I stay quiet.

"So Levi," Erwin says. "Got a strong stomach?" He asks smirking. "Besides puking blood, I suppose." I shrug. Erwin sternly nods, they walk faster into the E.R.

"What do you do in here?" I ask. "Nothing, we watch for anyone new, anyone like us." Petra says, looking at me from over her shoulder. After a couple of people being wheeled in fast, we talk about no one new has shown up since me.

When a boy is rushed inside, I look at the stretcher. He's curled in a ball with tears rushing down his face as he silently screams in pain.

My eyes widen, "Holy shit." I say. "You think?" Petra asks looking at Hanji then Erwin, they nod. "Definitely." Hanji says, she adjust the nasal cannula that wraps around her face and into her nose.

"What kind do you think?" Petra asks, Hanji thinks for a while. I pay close attention, "I'm guessing lung cancer. He was clutching his chest and he couldn't scream so I'm guessing lung cancer." She say sadly.

"Wait, you're telling me that you think that boy has lung cancer?" I ask, gripping Hanji's shoulder. "Sadly, yes." She says looking straight into my eyes.

I let go of her shoulder, I let my hand fall to my side. "That boy?" I whisper. "Let's go." Erwin walks the way the boy was wheeled, I jog.

Some reason I'm interested in this boy, a nurse stops us from going any further. I sigh and we sit in the waiting room for no reason, Erwin mumbles something under his breath.

I lean my head back looking at the ceiling then close my eyes. 'I could sneak in there.' I think. 'That's pointless, I don't know him.' I sigh and stand up. "We should go." I say with my hands in my pockets.

"Yeah, I suppose." I walk back to my room and lie down. I grab the ball off my dresser and continuously throw it up and catch it, thinking.

~×××~

I wake up to Hanji banging on my door, I look at the clock that blinks 12:07 pm. "Shit, Hanji shut up."

'Did I fall asleep?' I shrug and open the door. "The boy! That boy from earlier!" She runs out of breath and coughs.

"Calm down Hanji." She grips my shoulders and shakes me. "He staying at the hospital, he's sharing a room with you." She says between breathes. "Wait! When is he coming?" I ask.

"Tomorrow morning." She says gaining her breath back. "You mean this morning." I narrow my eyes at her. "Yeah..uh, sorry." She says, pulling on her hair.

"Okay, thanks for the information." I say quietly. "No problem." She smiles and runs to her room, shutting the door.

I shut my door and sigh, "This morning? Huh?" I smile and lay back down. I drift to sleep think at how or who the boy is.