Mine

Beyoncé's POV
January 17

It felt like I'd never left. My father was driving our family back to Texas after being in Louisiana for a year because of my mother.

My mother and I had a good relationship, until she started drinking. And she ended up getting liver cancer. She died 7 months after being diagnosed.

Pops took it the hardest, undoubtedly so. He was married to that woman for decades and they had 3 kids together. So I made sure I looked after him during her grievance and after it all.

I took the grievance differently. I didn't drink, for obvious reasons but I did other things. So I practically turned into a different person in Louisiana.

Once I got past that stage, which was only a few months ago, I started doing productive things. Like going to the gym and basketball. Basketball became my escape.

My dad definitely noticed this.

Only a month ago he decided to tell us we were moving back to Texas. I knew I was one of the reasons for the abrupt leave. It was bitter sweet for me. I was starting to like Louisiana but nothing could beat home.

I had a bunch of people back in Texas that I couldn't wait to see, especially Kelly.

Most of my friends called and texted me, at least once a month whilst I was in Louisiana, just to check up on me.

Except Onika, who I had once considered to be one of my closest friends.

After an argument we had, which I could vividly remember, she cut all ties with me. That only added to the things already on my plate.

We were so young, so it was dumb.

"GG, can you open this for me?" Brielle asked from the back seat.

"Sure." It was a juice box. I don't know why she didn't ask Brandon, so I looked over and he was knocked out in the back seat, causing me to chuckle.

"Thanks, GG."

"Are you happy to be back, Bey?" Pops asked me glancing at me then back at the road.

"Yeah. You don't know how badly I missed that school." I smiled out.

"I know, honey. What about your friends?"

"I missed Kelly and everyone else." I smiled just thinking about them. We were a really strong friend group.

"Hmm, ok."

"What is it, dad?" I asked knowing there was something more.

"You didn't mention Nika?" I stiffened at the mention of her name. "Are you guys still not on talking terms?"

"She blocked me on everything, pops. I couldn't contact her. But Trey kept me updated on her and he said she was doing well." I shrugged by the end of my sentence.

"What was your argument even about?" He was so messy.

"I wish I remembered." I lied.

"Giselle, don't stress yourself out about it. If you guys end up talking again then ok. If you don't then that's also ok." He reassured me. "Although I would love to see my Nikabear again."

I chuckled at the nickname he gave Onika. Onika loved that nickname so much, her and my dad were super close before we left.

It stemmed from the fact that she had an estranged relationship with her own parents, so my dad was there for her.

"Bri, look out of the window. We're here." I said getting Brielle's attention.

She got excited, pointing out things she thought she remembered.