no man's land

Intimacy is a four syllable word for "Here is my heart and soul, please grind them into hamburger, and enjoy." It's both desired, and feared. Difficult to live with, and impossible to live without. Intimacy also comes attached to life's three R's: relatives, romance, and roommates. There are some things you can't escape. And other things you just don't want to know. I wish there were a rulebook for intimacy. Some kind of guide to tell you when you've crossed the line. It would be nice if you could see it coming, and I don't know how you fit it on a map. You take it where you can get it, and keep it as long as you can. And as for rules, maybe there are none. Maybe the rules of intimacy are something you have to define for yourself.

______
Delilah went jogging at 3 in the morning and was at the hospital before four. She found Cristina in the hospital at 4. Izzie, Meredith and George are getting ready for the day.

______
In the locker room Bailey addresses the interns,"You are the first person they see in the morning. You say please. You say thank you. You apologize for waking them up." Alex enters, late and gets a glare from Bailey.

"You make them feel good about you. Why is that important? Cause then they'll talk to you and tell you what's wrong. Why is that important? Because then you can tell you're attending what they need to know during rounds. And why is that important? Because if you make your resident look bad, she'll torture you until you beg for your mama. Now get out there. I want pre-rounds done be 5:30 am."

______
One of Seattle Grace's veteran scrub nurses Elizabeth "Liz" Fallon is admitted and it causes a stir. Cristina and Delilah is on Burke's service and is assigned to Liz, who mocks her about intentionally taking her chart only to impress Burke.

Cristina start the round,"Fifty-five-year-old woman with adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. Has had radiation therapy to reduce the tumor load. Rates her abdominal pain three out of ten."
Delilah continues giving Liz a soft small,"Positive nausea, but no vomiting. Diarrhea, hematochazia, melena, afebrile with T-max 37-2 and stable vital signs. Lab significant for a total ability of seven and elevated liver enzymes."

Burke then thanked them.

"Aggressive little witch, isn't she? She stole my chart during pre-rounds so she could scrub in on my surgery. She's hoping for a Whipple. And Delilah was a real kind one." Liz informed Richard and Preston.

Richard wanted Dr Grey on the case, since Liz worked with Ellis, they might have somethingto talk about, but Liz said,"Oh, I doubt that. I was Ellis's scrub nurse for 18 years, practically lived with that woman. I didn't meet that daughter once."

Burke informed them, more aimed at Cristina,"Well, anyway, Shepherd has her on the guy with the nails in his head."

Cristina asked interested,"There's a guy with nails in his head?"

"Seven of them. Shot himself in the head with a nail gun. Sixteen pennies, three and a half inches long."Cristina was intrigued and asked,"Wait, and he's still alive?"

Burke remarked," Fully conscious. Should be a pretty interesting surgery."

Chief Webber while sharing looks with Burke," But I guess you've got the Whipple."

Burke ordered the interns,"I'm gonna need a full blood work-up and abdominal CT."

Chief Webber informed them," CT's are down this morning."

Burke then replied," Then an MRI. She needs an enema, an ERCP for a stent and brush biopsy this afternoon."

Cristina was mad about being on Liz's case even though it is her own fault. Delilah did not care about doing a Whipple, she though that talking with Liz will be interesting.

__________
In Jorge's OR ,Chief Webber inform everyone watching," As you can see, the patient has shot seven nails directly into the skull without doing significant damage other than the optic nerve, and we may be able to save that. The idea is to remove the nails at exactly the angle they entered. Any wiggle, and we risk doing more damage than when they went in."

Cristina walked into the gallery with Delilah asked the group of interns,"Where are they? Move over."

George answered her, " They're just pulling them out. Hey, I heard you got a Whipple."

Cristina said," A maybe Whipple. Burke is running my butt off. Oh, man. Look at those films!"

Alex gave an evil laugh and told them,"It's Hellraiser."

Burke entered the gallery and asked Cristina,"Dr. Yang, did you put in the blood work?"

Cristina replied to him,"Oh, right before I got here."

Burke told her,"Hmm. Take her to Radiology for the MRI. Beep me when you're done." Cristina sighs and Delilah found the banter entertaining,"You want the Whipple, right?"

Cristina nodded her head and left.

________
Meredith visits her mother and is stricken that Ellis remembers Liz, her scrub nurse, but not her own daughter. Izzie and Meredith are furious that George didn't buy the tampons but he argues that "men don't buy tampons". Delilah gives them some of her private stock. She understood that George was uncomfortable and that he had a crush on Mer, but everyone was oblivious.

________
Cristina and Delilah returns to take Liz's vitals and to take her to the MRI machine. Liz told the two,"I always divided surgeons into two categories: Those that remember the names of their patients and those who didn't. They all remember their surgeries, of course. Every damn suture."

Cristina asked her,"But the good ones remember the names, right?"

Liz told her," I didn't say that. Now, some of the best ones, you know, distance themselves on purpose. They believe that the personal stuff clouds the medicine."

Liz asks Cristina if she has anyone waiting at home for her. Delilah spent some time with Liz talking about the past operations that she was part of. Delilah knew that Liz would not be leaving the hospital, she wanted to die where her heart is.

In Liz's room,she told Cristina," We got plenty of beds here. I don't feel sorry for you. This is who we are. This is our lives. You tell her, Dr. Burke." Dr Burke was leaning against the door and then Cristina asked him if they can talk.

Cristina confronts Burke about sending her to pointless tests on Liz. He finally tells her that she was terminal and had been admitted at Seattle Grace with the intention of dying here. Meredith visits with Liz and they reminisce about Ellis.

_______
Cristina was in Liz's room and she struggled to talk and breathe, "Liz, don't talk. Don't talk. Liz, just..."Liz's machines begin beeping.

Cristina shouted," Liz? Liz, stay, Liz, stay with me. Stay with me, Liz."

She pushes cold blue button

Code team came running to Liz's room

A nurse announced,"Here we go. Bag her. Push epi and atropine."
Cristina ordered," Somebody page Burke and Delilah."

People are trying to resuscitate Liz.

Tyler, one of the nurses, informed her," She's DNR. She's DNR. Do not resuscitate! Dr. Yang!"

Cristina exclaimed," Come on, people! Push another epi! Come on!"

In Liz's room, Cristina continued performing CPR,"Five, breathe, one, two."

Burke and Delilah ran into the room,"What the hell are you doing?"

Cristina stated while continuing CPR,"We lost pulse."

Burke ordered loudly," Let her go! She's DNR. Let her go. Call it Dr Yang."

Cristina sadly said,"Time of death, 11:43."

Delilah walked up to Cristina and put her hand on her shoulder, to provide her comfort. "Come on, let's go Cris."