CHAPTER 0: Prologue

" You're so considerate of others, but they have never been considerate of you, doesn't that suck? "

Hua Cheng and Xie Lian were on their usual stroll under a bright and sunny day, hand in hand. The two men were on a path littered with red, orange, and yellow maple leaves; they crunched as it were stepped on.
"Gege, would you like to stop by Puqi Shrine? I'm sure there's plenty of offerings left for you," the man clads in red suggested while rubbing his thumb over his husband's hand affectionately.
"That sounds like a great idea," Xie Lian replied back in a warm tone that could only be described as loving.

As they were about to continue on the path to Puqi Shrine, Xie Lian's foot sunk into some quicksand. He chuckled nervously, "Sorry San Lang, it must be my bad luck at work again!" Although, Hua Cheng only laughed softly and tried to lift him out of the sand.
"Huh.." key word — tried.
"What is it San Lang?"
"You're stuck," Hua Cheng muttered as he tugged and pulled but to no avail. For some reason, Xie Lian was sinking at an alarming rate. [ At this rate, I'll be submerged in the next few minutes! ] he thought to himself as he watched his husband struggle harder.
"San Lang— look!" he yelled out, Hua Cheng was sinking as well. Both of them were trying to keep calm and formulate a plan, but something in the sand pulled them through in one swoosh before they could resist.

‧₊˚ 🍵

Hua Cheng was the first to wake. It took some time for him remember what had happened, but quickly took action once he saw Xie Lian lying on the concrete.
"Gege!!" he cried out while rushing to support his lover's head with his lap. Soon after, Xie Lian's eyes fluttered open. His heart suddenly skipped a beat when he was met by a handsome face, his husband's face. He didn't say anything and just groaned as he held his head in agony; a headache.
"Are you feeling okay?" Hua cheng asked worriedly.
"Don't worry, I'm sure the quicksand wasn't laced with venom or anything," he brushed off the 'near-death' experience as per usual.

Hua Cheng hadn't even noticed that they were someplace completely different. He decicded to slowly get up and dust himself, also noticing that the sand had disappeared like it never existed in the first place.
Xie Lian also noticed and joked "This place is quite odd isn't it?"

"This place is odd, but not necessarily dangerous, even if it were, this one would let no harm come to you," he spoke with such sincerity that Xie Lian fell for him once again, or rather fallen deeper in love. The ghost king extended his hand and patiently waited for the scrap collector to reach out on his own.

Xie Lian smiled and gently wrapped his hand around the other, "This one promises to do the same."

Words.. 500
[ 03/29/24 ]