Chapter 15: Hidden fear.

I just got back in my room after training, but instead of resting, I went straight into the realm of my grimoire.

"Ci, do you know a martial art that would be suitable for me? I don't need it to be explosive. I just need to acquire a fighting style that I can use to defend myself when being targeted or in a one-on-one match against a capable magician that has a high proficiency in battling." I really need to step up my game now.

"Aren't you already learning swordsmanship?" Ci asked.

"I do, but you did say something about me needing more weapons in my arsenal, am I wrong?"

"Brat, you already have a lot on your plate right now. In fact, it's overflowing, but you're asking for more?"

"I know."

I know that the most. I can't count how many times my body and mind broke down. It's as if a whole week is being compressed into my daily schedule. I'm so drained. I want to have a rest, but I can't. Unlike others, I don't have the leisure to take a break, even for a moment. I can't afford to stop, and I can't afford to hesitate. I'm already too late, after all, but I won't be left behind.

"Tsk, you're too driven. Why the sudden change of mind? I thought that you wanted to become a healer."

"That still hasn't changed, and it wouldn't. It's just that... I realised that I shouldn't get too fixated on my own ideals."

"You think too much. You're doing this for your master, aren't you?"

He read me right.

"I guess. From my conversation with Cross earlier, I found out a lot of things. Once I get out of this forest, I'll definitely be seen as Aki Hernandez, the disciple of Blade, the disciple of the strongest magician in the country. Thinking about that, it gave me so much pressure, especially since my master has been so kind to me. He made me feel warmth that not even my own family can give me. He treats me special, and that's even more the reason for me to not disappoint him. I can't let others make fun of him because he took in a disciple like me."

"It's no good being naive and overly reliant on others. The only person you can truly trust in this world is yourself."

"Don't worry. I'm a good judge of character, you know? And I'll make sure that my goal won't be compromised," I reassured him.

"That goal better be to become one of the world's seven mysteries."

"Not exactly, but I guess I'll have to become one of the best to accomplish my goal."

"You're finally gaining some spirit. Come to think of it, your goal is for no one to die in the battle against hugos, right? What an absurd aim."

"Right? But I'll keep this absurd aim. I won't let anyone experience the pain of losing someone important to them because of those heartless hugos."

"Yup, that sounds absurd indeed."

"How could you say that, Ci? Becoming one of the world's seven mysteries is even more absurd, you know?"

"That's right. But you just have to—"

"Keep on going, right?"

"Tsk, fine. I'll teach you something."

"Really?"

"Not now, though. I need you to get your cultivation up to stage one first."

"Aren't I on the first level already?"

"What makes you think that? Ever heard of the saying, Everyone starts from zero?"

"Not really."

"Well, now you have. Hurry up and cultivate if you want to breakthrough soon. What I'll teach you afterwards will require a lot of time to master, after all."