THIRTY-FIVE

DARYL, RICK, T-DOG, AND JOSIE ALL LED THE PRISONERS OUTSIDE and the brunette had asked them their names. Tomas was the leader; the one with the gun, then there was Axel; the blonde man, then Andrew; the shortest one out of all of them, Oscar; the one who was worried about his family, and the last one was Big Tiny.

      "Damn, the sun feels good," Oscar said.

      "Good Lord," Axel gasped, seeing all the bodies littering the courtyard. "They're all dead."

      "Never thought I'd be so happy to see these fences," Tomas said.

      "You never said," Andrew began, turning towards them. "How the hell'd you get in here in the first place?"

      "Cut a hole in that fence over there by that guard tower," Daryl replied.

      "That easy, huh?" Andrew asked.

      "Where there's a will, there's a way," Daryl replied.

      "Easy for you to say," Andrew replied.

      "So what is this, like a disease?" Big Tiny asked.

      "Yeah, and we're all infected," Rick replied.

      "What do you mean, infected?" Axel asked. "Like AIDS or something?"

      "If I was to kill you, shoot an arrow in your chest, you'd come back as one of these things," Daryl explained. "It's gonna happen to all of us."

      "Ain't no way this Robin Hood cat's responsible for killing all these freaks," Tomas said.

      "There must be fifty bodies out here," Andrew agreed.

      "Where'd you come from?" Tomas asked.

      "Atlanta," Josie replied.

      "Where you headed?" Tomas asked her.

      "For now, nowhere," Rick replied.

      "I guess you could take that area down there near the water," Tomas said. "Should be comfortable."

      "We're using that field for crops," Josie replied.

      "We'll help you move your gear out," Tomas insisted.

      "That won't be necessary," Rick replied. "We took out these walkers, this prison is ours."

      "Slow down, cowboy," Tomas said.

      "You snatched the locks off our doors," Andrew added.

      "We'll give you new locks, if that's how you want it?" Rick offered.

      "This is our prison, we were here first," Tomas countered.

      "Locked in a broom closet?" Josie raised a brow.

      "We took it, set you free," Rick added. "It's ours, we spilled blood."

      "We're moving back into our cell block," Tomas replied.

      "You'll have to get your own," Rick shot back.

      "It is mine!" Tomas snapped. "I've still got personal artifacts in there. That's about as mine as it gets!"

      "Well, you can get your personal artifacts and find someplace else," Josie replied. "It's ours."

      Rage flickered in Tomas's eyes as he reached for his gun. Then Josie, Daryl, and T-Dog raised their weapons.