𝒱𝐼𝐼𝐼. 𝒲𝑒𝓁𝓁....𝒮𝒽𝒾𝓉

Act One; Chapter Eight

Word Count: 2491

[Season One, Episode Three]

"Hey, Sawyer, can you do me a favor?"

At the sound of his brother's voice, Sawyer turned his attention from the gun he was cleaning and towards Shane, next Sawyer craned his neck up so he could speak to his brother. "Yeah, sure, what's up?"

Shane put his hands on his hips. "Can I, uh, teach Carl how to catch frogs on my own?"

"Uh, yeah, sure, as long as it's okay with Lori," Sawyer answered with a shrug.

Despite Sawyer having no other ill intentions with his words, Shane took offense to them and defensively spoke back to his younger brother. "Why wouldn't it be okay?" Shane scoffed out a chuckle and rolled his eyes in annoyance, straightening his posture. "I mean, I'm the one who saved her and her boy, not-"

Sawyer furrowed his brows and pulled a confused expression, then cautiously questioned, "Are you okay?"

Once again, Shane scoffed out a chuckle. "Of course, man, why wouldn't I be?

"Well, ever since Rick got back, you've been flustered, to say the least... I mean, I've never seen you act like this before, so I'm just worried."

"Man, not you too." Shane backed up a few steps and anxiously rubbed the top of his head before defending himself by blurting, "Look, Rick didn't have a heartbeat when I checked in at that hospital. What else was I supposed to think!?!"

Sawyer's eyes widened in concern at his brother's outburst, and he put away the gun he was cleaning so he could walk up to his brother and put a comforting hand on his shoulders. "Hey, look at me." When Shane did so, Sawyer squeezed his brother's shoulders and continued, "From what you told me, that place was an actual shithole from hell. No person, I mean nobody, could've heard a heartbeat with all that gunfire and chaos going on around them."

A slight hopeful expression appeared on Shane's face, and he softly asked, "You think?"

Without skipping a beat, Sawyer nodded and gave his brother a reassuring smile, answering, "No, I know."

Shane's eyes were a bit watery, and swiftly engulfed his brother in a hug. "Thank you."

This took Sawyer aback because, during their entire lives, Sawyer had only seen Shane get emotional like this twice before. The first time was when Shane held Carl for the first time, and the second was when Rick got shot. So because of that, Sawyer let Shane take Carl to catch frogs by himself, and to spend his now-free time, he decided to help wash clothes in the quarry. This giving Sawyer the benefit of being able to watch Shane and Carl catch frogs. However, Sawyer became utterly bamboozled when he saw how Shane was teaching the young boy to do so.